Kris and Lee's Beaver Trapping Adventure!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
No recipes here but Kris cooked some last week. My wife has cooked some for us in the crockpot like any other meat. Very tender and tasty. I'm sure there will be a number of dishes at the Wild Game Dinner that is posted here.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Very cool!! Any ideas for cooking them up? I read a lot about cooking game meat and also used to be a chef. I'd be super interested to see what you make with them and what you think. Keep us posted!

Thanks! This was my first time skinning and butchering a beaver and eating beaver meat, so I did not get as much meat as I could have and I just did one simple recipe. I made beaver stew from the 2 bone-in beaver hams I got from the one beaver (the other beaver wasn't fresh enough to harvest the meat from). I posted the recipe in the Wild Game Recipes section of the forum:

If I catch any more beaver, I will post the recipes. :D

There is one wild game chef named Hank Shaw whose recipes I sometimes use and have had success with. They are usually relatively simple. He has not cooked beaver (he is a hunter, not a trapper, and seems to stick with the less "out there" wild game table fare, like venison, antelope, rabbit, quail, etc, though he does have a couple squirrel recipes). You can find them here, if interested:

But I'm sure there are plenty of others just as good! And come to the Wild Game Dinner if you can! They will have all kinds of wild game dishes there.

Last edited:

sears303

Spike
There is one wild game chef named Hank Shaw whose recipes I sometimes use and have had success with. They are usually relatively simple. He has not cooked beaver (he is a hunter, not a trapper, and seems to stick with the less "out there" wild game table fare, like venison, antelope, rabbit, quail, etc, though he does have a couple squirrel recipes). You can find them here, if interested:

But I'm sure there are plenty of others just as good! And come to the Wild Game Dinner if you can! They will have all kinds of wild game dishes there.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I am familiar with Hank Shaw and his work. There are a good bit of ideas around there. I'm sure the Meat Eater crew has some out there as well.

Jdaddyrox

Spike
I sure would love to be able to trap beaver again. Maybe when I retire? When I was younger and lived at home we lived on Muddy Creek in Winston-Salem and there were some there and they were crafty and wouldn’t go through my 330’s but I got em on their slides with snares. Had a 330 slam shut on my fingers once and it’s not a fun time, especially when you’re alone. There are several safety devices available nowadays and if I ever bend the springs tight on another one I will have in my possession one of those. Nice to see the old ways being carried on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk