KNIVES

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Samurai warrior!!! (John Belushi accent, of course)

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Samurai warrior!!! (John Belushi accent, of course)

Yeah I got that one too..... that's the one I shaved the end of my pinky off with..... shhhhh

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Pakkawood dymondwood whatever they call it… it WILL swell if it sees much moisture. May take a while and it may or may not be gradual. Just know it’s gonna move sooner or later if it stays wet much (ie dishwasher). After years of use and testing I’ve stopped using it. For a lot of things it’s fine, but it is way more dynamic than they would have you think. Had several swell enough to crack around the pins and two that split and came off. Long winded way of saying that you should hand wash and dry these.

Now in the blade community Amazon/Chinese knives are frowned upon for two reasons. Generally they suck and usually they are a copy and thus rip off the original maker. That being said I purchased and tested “eafengrow” knives from Amazon. Rip off knives. That being said they are mostly D2 and are heat treated properly. Tested knives came in at 55-58rc. I’ve performance tested these knives (folders) extensively both in the lab and in the field. General consensus is that they need to be more original and tweak somethings but they could reasonably charge more. They are performing well above price range. It’s not top tier kind of stuff but I ain’t afraid to lose it either. Heck at $20 you could lose a couple before it hurt too bad. Fwiw I used one to field quarter my last buck. It was the only knife used and I didn’t use a saw. Even after beheading it’s still reasonably sharp. Little wobble now but hey $20….

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Pakkawood dymondwood whatever they call it… it WILL swell if it sees much moisture. May take a while and it may or may not be gradual. Just know it’s gonna move sooner or later if it stays wet much (ie dishwasher). After years of use and testing I’ve stopped using it. For a lot of things it’s fine, but it is way more dynamic than they would have you think. Had several swell enough to crack around the pins and two that split and came off. Long winded way of saying that you should hand wash and dry these.

Now in the blade community Amazon/Chinese knives are frowned upon for two reasons. Generally they suck and usually they are a copy and thus rip off the original maker. That being said I purchased and tested “eafengrow” knives from Amazon. Rip off knives. That being said they are mostly D2 and are heat treated properly. Tested knives came in at 55-58rc. I’ve performance tested these knives (folders) extensively both in the lab and in the field. General consensus is that they need to be more original and tweak somethings but they could reasonably charge more. They are performing well above price range. It’s not top tier kind of stuff but I ain’t afraid to lose it either. Heck at $20 you could lose a couple before it hurt too bad. Fwiw I used one to field quarter my last buck. It was the only knife used and I didn’t use a saw. Even after beheading it’s still reasonably sharp. Little wobble now but hey $20….

Which one do you have?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Anyone tried one of the "Ulu" Alaska knives. Daughter got me one for Christmas last year, and I took a go at a doe earlier, but just couldn't get the hang of it.
Ive used one for chopping veggies. Never got around to trying to use it for anything else.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
belay that,,, your statement still good but my intent changed,,, made in China,, I don't willingly/knowingly buy stuff from there unless I am left with no choice,,,

yes, I know "75% of commercial knives are made in china",,, don't care

glad you enjoy them - they look nice
Dad beat this philosophy into my head before I was even old enough to make or spend money . Comments inbound regarding “I guess you must not use *insert common every day item here* “

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
@TobyScreams what angle do you reccomend sharpening D2 at for a fixed blade skinner? I have a Benchmade in D2 and it can be finicky but I'm no pro at sharpening either.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
@TobyScreams what angle do you reccomend sharpening D2 at for a fixed blade skinner? I have a Benchmade in D2 and it can be finicky but I'm no pro at sharpening either.
Ooooooo How geeky can I get? I don’t find that any specific angle works for all things but you have a specific knife and use so I can work with that. I’m gonna guess that it’s a flat ground knife and is fairly heavy behind the edge. Using that with the knowledge that it is D2 and we will be skinning I’d sharpen at under 20dps. Likely 17ish. Maybe lower if it’s a dedicated skinner and nothing else, as high as 20 if it’s multi use. There’s a catch here though. I find that staying with a stone that’s coarser will skin better. Skinning cuts are a slicing motion so the concept of “micro serrations” applies. Especially given that it’s D2 and it precipitates huge carbides. D2 will have this attribute anyway so I play to it instead of fighting.

I field quarter and am a pro at that. That’s internet for “I’ve done it twice.” I’m finding that I prefer a slightly longer, skinnier blade for going around the pelvis especially. I’ll use 20dps and polish the edge but that knife will see other uses and will have to separate joints etc as I do not use a saw. But I’ll vary that recipe slightly for different grinds and more so, different steels.
Clear as mud?

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
No need to apologize. I'm learning because I'm knife ignorant. I don't mind higher end products at all either. I've got that sugar mama that'll buy daddy whatever he wants......🤣
Well dadgum. What you need is a new hand made knife with all that wealth at your disposal! He’s slow as sh$t but I know a guy…. LOL

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I’m generally pleasant but if the price is right I can mistreat you as much as you’d like. When I catch up to knives started in January this year I’m gonna charge more. When I mean started I really just mean that we agreed upon a price and design. I’m at least a year out. Sadly that’s an improvement. But yeah I mean I‘ll lie to ya and keep putting it off etc if you’d like….

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
No. But I have realized in knifes is bigger and heavier is better.
12” boning knife and 14” heavy Thai blade are my friends. I do have a 10” bubba fillet but it’s only good for fish and bait.
I would like a heavy chef knife or a heavy cleaver.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
picked up this on a whim. 2 more peelers coming too. thought they were cool

20211218_203808.jpg20211218_203840.jpg