KNIVES

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I have an addictive personality. If I get hooked on something I can't let it go until I'm done with it. I'll never have enough guns, ever..... I also fancy knives of all sorts. I'm always looking for the next best thing. I have Victornox deboning knives as well as other brands. A while back I bought a TUO German Steel knife off of Amazon strictly off of the reviews. Once it arrived I saw it was 'pretty' and shoved it in the cabinet. The other day I needed to break a few deer down and thought I'd give it a whirl. First impression is that these knives are scary sharp. I've never felt the need to wear protective gloves until now. Yes I said knives...... I now own 5 and am building an entire set of them. I'm not saying they are the best, because I can't make that statement being ignorant for the most part, but these things cut thru deer/meat like butter. Scary sharp..... I already know I'll have to have every freaking one of them they make in this set...... the addiction starts anew..... anyone else ever tried these knives?

5KNIVES.jpg

This 8" Curved Butcher is freaking amazing in my eyes.

8BUTCHER3.jpg8BUTCHER2.jpg

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
As you can imagine I don’t use many knives that aren’t my own. And I won’t buy forged integrals unless custom. That being said I have a Victornox boning knife and a 10” F. Dick breaking knife similar to that 8” . Cheap, light, and easy to clean. Wouldn’t care if I threw them in the dishwasher even. Wife does a 15 minute eyeroll when I start processing because I have to proclaim loudly that I have a… well, that knife.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I have some victornox from my meat cutting days. Bought the gf a set of them for her birthday, they are stupid sharp. I'll have to look at these too.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I have some victornox from my meat cutting days. Bought the gf a set of them for her birthday, they are stupid sharp. I'll have to look at these too.
I took three Victornox boning knives out with me just in case I needed them. I never picked them up. That curved butcher just blew right threw those two deer with no exertion at all.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm not saying they are the best, because I can't make that statement being ignorant for the most part, but these things cut thru deer/meat like butter. Scary sharp..... I already know I'll have to have every freaking one of them they make in this set...... the addiction starts anew..... anyone else ever tried these knives?

no,,, but that is an awesome statement,,, I am now in the hunt for one (some???) and if the Wife asks, I'm blaming YOU!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
no,,, but that is an awesome statement,,, I am now in the hunt for one (some???) and if the Wife asks, I'm blaming YOU!

belay that,,, your statement still good but my intent changed,,, made in China,, I don't willingly/knowingly buy stuff from there unless I am left with no choice,,,

yes, I know "75% of commercial knives are made in china",,, don't care

glad you enjoy them - they look nice

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I took three Victornox boning knives out with me just in case I needed them. I never picked them up. That curved butcher just blew right threw those two deer with no exertion at all.
Because they were baby deer. My wife doesn't understand some things, like proper storage of knives

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
The grip looks slick and probably is, made of Pakkawood. That alone will make it difficult to re-sharpen. Add that to the fact that there is no choil and I'm left using my 20 year old Victotnox set.... Thanks, but nope.....

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Because they were baby deer. My wife doesn't understand some things, like proper storage of knives
You know me. I don't discriminate....I shoot big ones, little ones.... in that case they were with a pistol. Can't help they were snack size.... limited freezer space to boot..... least I don't cry about fog, the wind....a baaad scope(wait I haven't told anyone but you about my KY fiasco).....

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You know me. I don't discriminate....I shoot big ones, little ones.... in that case they were with a pistol. Can't help they were snack size.... limited freezer space to boot..... least I don't cry about fog, the wind....a baaad scope(wait I haven't told anyone but you about my KY fiasco).....
I can see now

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The grip looks slick and probably is, made of Pakkawood. That alone will make it difficult to re-sharpen. Add that to the fact that there is no choil and I'm left using my 20 year old Victotnox set.... Thanks, but nope.....
finger choil or sharpening choil???

which victoronix have choils? My victoronix fillet knife lacks one

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I didn’t catch that. Maybe he meant no ricasso? Either way cheap chinese knives aren’t hard to sharpen, but I guess that’s subjective. Some people have an exponentially harder time than others.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Anyone tried one of the "Ulu" Alaska knives. Daughter got me one for Christmas last year, and I took a go at a doe earlier, but just couldn't get the hang of it.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone tried one of the "Ulu" Alaska knives. Daughter got me one for Christmas last year, and I took a go at a doe earlier, but just couldn't get the hang of it.
I love them for cutting up vegetables but haven't used them for anything else.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Mom went on an Alaska cruise and brought me ome back. It's a smaller version that I thought was more of if a novelty. But I have used it for dicing vegetables...mirepoix and trinity mostly. It is a little different.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mom went on an Alaska cruise and brought me ome back. It's a smaller version that I thought was more of if a novelty. But I have used it for dicing vegetables...mirepoix and trinity mostly. It is a little different.
I have one that an old neighbor that live in Alaska while he was in Air Force and has family still there. I kind of thought of it as a novelty item as well. 20 years later, I've still have not used it.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
You talked me into it. I just bought:

I just got my 7 inch boning knife in the mail today. Let me know what you think about yours.

Because someone mentioned the handles getting slick I did a little experiment and wet the knife. With water on the paka wood handle it seemed to increase the grip and significantly at that. I had to be careful pulling on the blade, not afraid to admit it, but I have a healthy respect for the sharpness. Then I took canola oil and drenched the handle. It did cause it to be slicker obviously, but with little hand pressure it wasn't slick enough to cause one bit of slippage. When you get yours give that a try as well and let me know your thoughts.

Barpit76

Spike
I have a set of Shun Damascus knives (Chef, Paring, Carving, and utility) I use in the kitchen and they are stupid sharp. I've had them for nearly a year, use them at least twice a week, and haven't needed to sharpen them once. Just a honing every now and again to realign the edge. Still 100% razor sharp.

For game, I have a bone saw, a Victorinix semi-stiff (hehe) curved boning knife, and a 6 in JA Henkel cleaver.