Kitchen cabinet hinges

kwag

Button Buck
2e29c98db1f4190d4b6124e8e29d643b.jpg

Anyone familiar with the brand of this hinge? What the white piece of plastic is called? I have a number that have broken off In the kitchen and the cabinet doors stay open. Having a hard time identifying what it is and finding a YouTube video to show me how to fix it! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Mine are a little different but the cut out looks standard. Mine look all metal.
I would just look replacments and replace as the go.1565445372198-322066322.jpg1565445389111-570736637.jpg

kwag

Button Buck
That sounds like the plan. If I have to take it apart to replace the plastic clip I might as well just replace the poorly designed hinge.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
It's generally easier to replace them than it is to monkey around with them. You can do it all at once or by attrition over time.

Better hinges don't have to cost a lot of money. They are usually sold separate from the mounting plate as there are so many cabinet frame styles.

Blum compact Blumotion hinges are designed to an overlay application like yours. You'll need to know what the "overlay" is. That's the amount the door overlays the face frame. The Blumotion feature is a soft close feature that works even if you try to slam the cabinet door. There's little built in switch in the cup side to disable the Blumotion feature if desired.

Another good option is the Blum Cliptop Inserta hinges which are "tool-free" You screw the adjustable mounting plates to the cabinet frame, insert the the hinges into the 35mm bore on the door, flip a lever to lock them down tight and snap the door onto the mounting plate. These are my favorites, especially for big doors like pantry cabinets.

Both are available in a wide selection of opening angles including hinges that cam out of the way of obstructions right next to the cabinet and one that cam sideways to avoid oddball things like walls at right angles to the cabinet face.

Ordered online the Blumotion hinges will like be in the $4 range for the hinge and mounting plate and the Insertas maybe a buck more. If you need some help picking what you require let me know. I'll do my best to help you. What part of the state are you in?

Lance

kwag

Button Buck
I’m in Jamestown (between Greensboro and high point). None of the hinges at Lowe’s or Home Depot matches the holes already milled into the cabinet. I would like to NOT just drill into those doors! The doors have plastic lag shields (I know they aren’t lag shields but that’s what I call them). I’ll check that company. Thanks.

kwag

Button Buck
It's generally easier to replace them than it is to monkey around with them. You can do it all at once or by attrition over time.

Better hinges don't have to cost a lot of money. They are usually sold separate from the mounting plate as there are so many cabinet frame styles.

Blum compact Blumotion hinges are designed to an overlay application like yours. You'll need to know what the "overlay" is. That's the amount the door overlays the face frame. The Blumotion feature is a soft close feature that works even if you try to slam the cabinet door. There's little built in switch in the cup side to disable the Blumotion feature if desired.

Another good option is the Blum Cliptop Inserta hinges which are "tool-free" You screw the adjustable mounting plates to the cabinet frame, insert the the hinges into the 35mm bore on the door, flip a lever to lock them down tight and snap the door onto the mounting plate. These are my favorites, especially for big doors like pantry cabinets.

Both are available in a wide selection of opening angles including hinges that cam out of the way of obstructions right next to the cabinet and one that cam sideways to avoid oddball things like walls at right angles to the cabinet face.

Ordered online the Blumotion hinges will like be in the $4 range for the hinge and mounting plate and the Insertas maybe a buck more. If you need some help picking what you require let me know. I'll do my best to help you. What part of the state are you in?

Lance

We actually have a Richelieu here in Greensboro that carries those Blum hinges. I think I’m going to take the entire cabinet door in there tomorrow and see if they can help.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
The bore for the hinge should be 35mm/1-3/8" if it's the standard Euro style hinge bore. If you take the door overlay measurement and the door they should be able to set you right up. The spacing from the edge of the door to the hinge bore makes a difference, too. If you need to have a hinge clear an obstruction or open extra wide they might need to order something specially but basic stuff should be no sweat. Good luck.

I'm outside Pilot Mountain in Pinnacle and I'm about 45 minutes from you. If you still draw a blank I could stop down sometime and help you figure out what to order.

I like to keep my business local when and where I can so I've been getting my hinges from Guy Schneider at Pilot Cabinet Works. It's good to know about Richelieu though. I've never done business with them or heard of them for that matter since the only cabinet I've built since we moved here is a big and very deep pantry cabinet for my wife. I'll have to stop in when I'm in Greensboro.

Lance

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Richelieu is good stuff as is Blum. I really liked their Clip-On style when I ordered them for the millwork division of the old company I managed. If drilling new recesses just use a good jig and be precise or they don’t sit flush underneath. You don’t see it but it bugged me. I also played around with the cheaper soft-close add ons. I’d just buy the ones that have soft close built in. Fair warning, I never got as good at adjusting the cheaper styles level/flush as my Builders did. I’ve designed quite a few products for different industries but you had to be a wizard of Chinese furniture design or something with those goofy things. The Blum

oliver305

Button Buck
Not all locks available for purchase can be utilized. There are as many different kinds of locks as there are different kinds of cabinets. To avoid squandering money on an underused item, you must understand the sort of cabinet you own or are about to acquire by looking at the product number and manufacturer.

Last edited: