Kingfish and AJ Steaks

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Got back to our rental cottage and portioned out all our fish. They had a regular Ole cheap charcoal grill there. Got some applewood charcoal and fired it up. Decided to try stuff totally different. Marinated king in some sprite, soy sauce, lime and garlic. Did the amberjack in green curry and Mongolian fire oil. Let the marinades drip off so nothing burned or carmelized. Couldn’t tell ya times or temps. Just eyeballed it based on how I wanted it. Got one Pic midway thru cooking...nothing impressive . Got so stoked to eat we didn’t think about taking a pic when they were ready. Neither of us had ever had those kinds of fish and we were real happy with it.
AC410FFA-D594-49C0-A707-2F42ACDA1A85.png

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Most people will not knowingly eat AJ . Most have heard of the worms in the meat and it turns them away. We eat it cooked several different ways. While grilling some for the fourth people asked what all I caught the day before I never mentioned the Jack's . Many people said that was the best grilled cobia they ever ate 😂

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks great! We grilled up some of the Kings that we caught at OIB back in June, and they were very nice. I like makerel as long as it's very fresh - a day or two old, having never seen the freezer...

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Most people will not knowingly eat AJ . Most have heard of the worms in the meat and it turns them away. We eat it cooked several different ways. While grilling some for the fourth people asked what all I caught the day before I never mentioned the Jack's . Many people said that was the best grilled cobia they ever ate 😂

I think AJ is better than cobia. It seems to be a little moister to me. I hope we catch some during our trip later in August.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
If your off Hatteras just troll by the diamond shoals light house,,them reef donkeys are everywhere....can't get past the worms 🤮

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Lol yeah the captain told me the same thing about people being freaked out by worms. Any suggestions on other ways to cook it? Gonna be doing some for my family tomorrow

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Our favorite way to eat it is to breader and fry it then use it for tacos. It simple and fast . We use it for fish salad also ( like tuna salad) .I like it seared in a pan until almost done then add chopped tomatoes and spices and simmer to blend everything then serve over Noddles.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Our favorite way to eat it is to breader and fry it then use it for tacos. It simple and fast . We use it for fish salad also ( like tuna salad) .I like it seared in a pan until almost done then add chopped tomatoes and spices and simmer to blend everything then serve over Noddles.
Sounds awesome thanks!

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
My wife is hyper-picky about fish but she likes AJ better than cobia and maybe even mahi. Funny thing about kings (at least to me) is it smells strong fishy uncooked but gets milder when grilled .

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
My wife is hyper-picky about fish but she likes AJ better than cobia and maybe even mahi. Funny thing about kings (at least to me) is it smells strong fishy uncooked but gets milder when grilled .
It’s interesting ya mention that. I heard from a lot of people that they feel the same about kingfish. It’s weird...ours has had a mild smell to it since we caught it . That “fresh ocean” smell but not fishy or strong. Wonder if habitat and diet contributes to that