King Mackerel

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I didn't really have time to try a new recipe so I dipped it in some texas pete and rolled it in some House Autry. Good fried fish!

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Clean and cook the same day it's caught . Use whatever seasoning you prefer. Place on hot charcoal grill beside a ribeye steak , when the steak is done remove the mackerel and feed it to the Coons then proceed to eat steak.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Clean and cook the same day it's caught . Use whatever seasoning you prefer. Place on hot charcoal grill beside a ribeye steak , when the steak is done remove the mackerel and feed it to the Coons then proceed to eat steak.
I don’t agree, mackerel is not a bad eating fish. If you take care of it as soon as it’s caught until it’s on the table it’s delicious.

For 8-15 lb fish. Leave whole and cut into 2 pieces. In a turkey roasting pan put one bottle of Scotts BBQ sauce and a stick or 2 of butter. Cover and bake on low 250 or so occasionally basting with sauce. After 3-4 hrs take spoon and remove top skin and bloodline and continue to baste. Works great while cooking pork on a larger grill. In the sauce it won't dry out and probably taste like chicken doesn't everything else?

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I get mine covered in ice as soon as they quit flopping. Filet off the bone split length wise and remove bone and any red meat. Then I cut it off the skin like any other fish I filet. I never put water on the fish keep it ice cold and dry until I vacuum seal it. Then I’ll lightly rinse it but dry with paper towels. marinaded in Italian dressing over a wood grill it’s excellent along with cut in chunks and deep fried. Like anything else properly cared for when caught it’s good stuff.