Kimchi Ori Jigae (Kimchi Duck Stew)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
kimchi jigae, is a spicy red stew served in a served in a stone pot. It's normally made with pork (pork belly, chops, etc) but I wanted to make one with duck,,,gadwall (what I pulled from freezer). It normally is topped with tofu in Korean joints, but I skipped that as I don't keep that around - I just added more MEAT!!

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 onion (thinly sliced)
  • 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
  • meat - I used duck, but often done with pork - cut up some
  • 1 pound kimchi (with juices, chopped)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Korean chili flakes
  • 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
  • 3 cups chicken stock (700 ml, can substitute fish or beef stock)
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 scallion (chopped)
most of the ingredients here - sugar and salt combined, not showing frying oil. Ground the red peppers into flakes with a mortar and pestle my oldest got me for Christmas

Instructions
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and meat, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the meat is lightly browned and the onions start to soften.

Add the kimchi and fry for 2 minutes.

Then add the salt, sugar, chili flakes, gochujang, and broth. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and stir in the sesame oil. Garnish with the chopped scallion and serve immediately with steamed rice!

man I like that stew,,,,it's better for winter (spices gets the ol' blood boiling) but I can live with that for the taste - why God let us invent air conditioning!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ouch..that burns just looking at it. Don't touch your eyes after making or eating that stew.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
ouch..that burns just looking at it. Don't touch your eyes after making or eating that stew.

it's not that hot (well hot is relative)

if you don't like "Korean Hot" and kimchi you wouldn't like this stew,,,,

I love it,,,