Killing weeds in a centipede lawn

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I've got some weeds in my centipede lawn I'd like to kill.
I don't really know what they are, but if you can give me some advice I'd sure appreciate it.

agyqu5yv.jpg

hyhuvaru.jpg

Buckshot00

I have the same stuff. I put out nitrogen every year and it goes away for the season. Good luck.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Having had a centipede yard for a good while, I know that some of the early weeds will die out when it gets warmer. But I can't tell what that is, so I don't know if that is one of the ones that goes away or not.

Last edited:

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
24d will get centipede. Centipede does pretty good with atrazine. You need to read the label and you will probably need a pesticide lisenced or have access to someone who does. You can always hire it out.

buckbuster04

Ten Pointer
As licensed sprayer, 2-4-d will not kill centipede. Read the mixing instructions and you will be fine.... Looks like chickweed

straightline

Ten Pointer
As licensed sprayer, 2-4-d will not kill centipede. Read the mixing instructions and you will be fine.... Looks like chickweed

If you mix 2-4-d at a rate strong enough to kill weeds it will get Centipede or at least severely stunt it.

nu2e3ehy.jpg

Sent from my S4 via Tapatalk

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You can spray trimec and it will take care of it. There is a different rate for centipede grass so read directions.

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
Celsius 3 oz per acre and MSN 1/3 oz per acre....I throw some bifen in there too with a surfactant.
You'll thank me later! Best I've found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I am licensed also, I have centipede and bermuda and spray it with 2-4-D quite often and never had an issue.

Last edited:

straightline

Ten Pointer
Yeah, I am licensed also, I have centipede and bermuda and spray it with 2-4-D quite often and never had an issue.

Licensed since 91 and I can't count the truckloads of Centipede we've layed after someone sprayed their yard with 2-4-D alone . Of course they always used the "recommended" rates but who knows. My eyes light up when I get those calls.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Licensed since 91 and I can't count the truckloads of Centipede we've layed after someone sprayed their yard with 2-4-D alone . Of course they always used the "recommended" rates but who knows. My eyes light up when I get those calls.

Yep me to, been licensed since 81 in ornamental and turf, aquatic, and row. Never burnt any yet. But I have seen everything from azaleas to junipers and turf burnt up with pesticides and herbicides that it was labeled for by homeowners and some that weren't that either didn't know how to measure, calibrate equipment or figured if a X amount was good 3X amount was great.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think that has a lot to do with it.

I believe Glyphosate has been the most misused herbicide I have ever seen over the years as far as overmixing in my life. Farmers just couldn't believe something could be mixed that ratio and work. Now they have chemicals that can be mixed much higher ratio but for years that set the bar. There is no telling how much money they wasted through the nozzles over the years with that stuff.

Buckshot00

The best offense for weeds is a good solid healthy lawn. I would NOT spray 2 4 D on a lawn. lol. Just fertilize the grass you have, the healthy grass will choke out the weeds. It ain't hard.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Licensed since a week ago in the state of MN and all I know is I know just as much as I did before I was licensed.....but make damned sure I double check labels and mix BY THE LABEL to the T now...now that i didnt before, but its my livelyhood on the line now. lol

Last edited:

buckbuster04

Ten Pointer
Too much of anything will burn anything. We use many chemicals to spray centipede and most have some ratio of 2-4-d in it. Now that being said we went to Celsius last year because the coverage of the chemical. I see improper measuring all the time especially glyphosphate. People tell me they need it gone fast so they dump half the bottle in a 3gal backpack sprayer.. Smh

willch

Twelve Pointer
To answer your original question…. I'm pretty sure it looks like lespedeza. Celsius will get it, just be careful on the ratio.

Last edited:

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
I sprayed with altrazine last year with mild success. I won't be putting 2-4-d on it. Guess I'll just fertilize it well with an appropriate fertilizer. I'm pretty sure one is lespedeza and the other is black medic. May spot spray with altrazine in the patches that are affected

Last edited:

m23cbl

Six Pointer
Been licenced for 10 years. Sprayed plenty of 24d on centipede with no issues. Read the lable but as a general rule I go 2 oz. to the gallon. As mentioned above, Speedzone works well. It contains about 50% 24d and cost about four times as much. Heat will kill most of your problem weeds. I would definatly get the weeds under control before I put any fertilizer on it.