Killing deer on camera

hawkman

Eight Pointer
...Personally I just like looking at pictures of what goes on in the woods when we aren't around.. .

Love this as well. My last check had three does running away. Next one had a video of a coyote limping into frame - running on 3 legs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I understand about the "outdoor skills" and doing things "the old fashioned way", but the fact is, in this day and age, many of us hunt properties that are some distance from our homes and jobs and we just do not have the time to get there and scout as effectively as we might like. To me, that is where game cameras "shine". They enable me to scout remotely when I might not be able to scout at all otherwise. Yeah, I'd love to be able to walk out my back door onto 100 acres anytime I wanted, but those weren't the cards I was dealt.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Personally I don’t see cameras taking away from the “old fashioned way” of scouting and hunting big buck sign or even just plain ol deer sign.

It how I was taught long before trail cameras were invented. Still how I hunt... cameras just give me a picture of what’s making the sign.

It also has taught me more about patterns in a given area .... how?

Cameras are my hunting eyes in the woods 24/7 .. especially the days I can’t hunt

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
So many things to factor in. But most people don't have the amount of time or private land to go out scouting for that mature buck without putting pressure on the small acreage they have.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ecufan13

Spike
I think making this thread has been cool to see everyone’s views. I know game cameras aren’t perfect. I do enjoy seeing what is in the woods though. From turkeys to deer it’s fun to know what’s in the area. Landowner said there’s not bears but I have signs that say different. Mature bucks can get weary of cameras and will walk behind them or use different trails, this keeps the surprise alive for me. This is my first year using a camera. Just a cheap wild game cam but it does what I want it to. I pull the card when I hunt and if I put out feed. No extra disturbance to an area. If you hunt using bait I think it’s also interesting to see how long it takes deer to come to it. The thing that drives me crazy about them is seeing a nice buck walk past your stand 15 minutes after dark when you’ve been there for hours.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Guys killed big bucks all the time way before trail cameras were invented . Just good ole Plain Jane scouting. Not talking about anyone on here but people who depend on game cameras may be good/great hunters but their outdoor skills are not as good as they could be compared the people who have taken monster buck after monster buck w/o em. What are we going to do in the future??? put up 20 plus cameras like you have at home and just sit back and watch every deer on your property? Maybe game cameras one day will have a dartgun built into them where you can shoot a chip into them then track them on your phone. ??

I for one like the surprise when one shows up I know nothing about or when the big one shows up that you know is there from tracks etc. And , if i put a camera up and a monster is on it then I would go crazy at work knowing I am not out there hunting.

Not a monster but the last decent buck I killed and I knew he was there by his scrapes, rubs(huge trees rubbed) and tracks. I am glad I didnt use a camera on him as that would have lessened it for me but if you like it then do it. It took me about 3 weeks to get him after I first discovered his sign by scouting but I got him. Biggest Buck ever killed on our old lease that now has Million dollar homes on it............This lease bordered gamelands so it was hard to get really big bucks here.
sView attachment 37442

I am actually getting ready to buy my first one but it wont be for deer hunting. It will be for seeing what comes to bait in my backyard at night.

Sure there are a few negatives, but many more positives using cameras, especially if someone is trying to manage their deer. What I like about deer cams is, when I get buck photos I can make a decision, very calmly about whether I will harvest certain bucks if given the chance...versus making a choice in the heat of the moment. I got another photo a few weeks ago of the buck below. I made the decision at home, I would let him walk if seen. Ten minutes before I shot my bigger buck, this buck walked by eating acorns at forty yards. I put the cross hairs on him, but my choice was already made from deer cam photos.E384AF20-31DD-449F-AE3D-A7FFE5DC845B.jpeg

Last edited:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I couldn't live without cameras. I enjoy them as much as hunting. I still scout quite a bit for deer sign and stand location but that helps determine where the cameras go. I love putting a camera on a scrape or a bottleneck. I usually shoot one deer a year and that's usually a doe so the time spent in the woods is more to me than bagging something.

Actually I literally did kill a deer on camera years ago when I was bow hunting a corn feeder.