Kill devil hills surf?

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Gonna be staying the last week of sept in a house right on the beach. Is the surf really high there? Too high to surf fish?

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
Gonna be staying the last week of sept in a house right on the beach. Is the surf really high there? Too high to surf fish? Depends on if a hurricane is off the coast. September is a great time to surf fish down there. Fish no matter what, you might be surprised.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not sure what you mean by "too high", please clarify. I'm at Nags Head now and the current conditions are not suitable for surf fishing today, but it should be OK soon. No way of knowing what it will be later in the month. But in general, surf fishing there can be pretty good.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Ill be rigged and ready. I guess my question is "Is the surf much bigger than Ocean Isle or Sunset?"

Offshore storms / wind direction are the primary driver in any wave height differences. Those two beaches face south and KDH faces ENE.

where you'll be fishing the bottom contours are hardly different.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
As a general rule the northern outer banks gets bigger surf than the southern part of the state. We've got deeper water closer to shore. The avon area gets bigger than most other areas of the northern outer banks.
I know that's not what you asked exactly...but yea, we get rougher surf quicker and for longer on this end than the southern part of the state.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You need to plan on 4 oz pyramids or heavier for your bottom rigs and blue rigs

im not a local and still ask more questions because I know very little about the surf other than I try to do it when I can.

I do know that I personally have started using larger and heavier coin weights when I can. I seem to have a lot of trouble with pyramids getting buried in sand. I can get them reeled back in....but can’t feel anything biting when the bottom has the weight buried.

man I doing something wrong with the pyramids?

todobien

Eight Pointer
depends on the weather re: weight. Have used 8 oz and not held. Have used 1 and that was more than needed. lots of times there are great fish to be caught almost at your feet and you don't need tons of weight to make a long cast. If surf is too high than go down around Oregon inlet or the "little bridge" on the Nags Head causway and fish the sound.