Key Largo this past weekend

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Took my oldest and we went down to Key Largo Thursday evening. We went out on Friday. The seas were 1-3 but heavy chop and 2-3 second spacing. I dropped lines in the water around 100' and we trolled out to 850'. We hit our first weed line at around 800'. We didn't get a bite so we started heading back in. We got a nice bite in 90' of water just about the time I was going to pull the lines out and head back. It was peeling off drag like crazy. Started working on it and a big bull dolphin jumped out of the water and spit the hook. We circled back a couple times but didn't get any action. When we got back I found out all the action was at 1200-1400'.

We had good luck fishing on the dock and caught a lot of small mangroves, triggers and crap fish.

I went out with family and friends Saturday morning. We used the intel from the prior day and decided to head out to 1400' at 7am and see what we could do. At around 200' we saw a frigate working and baitfish boiling on top. We made a coupe passes with lures and cedar plug but the fish went under and never surfaced again. We decided to continue with our plan. At around 6-700' the weed lines started and were very scattered. We dropped lines again and caught a throwback mahi. We continued out past 1000' to 1400'. We did not see another weed line or birds past 1000'. We headed back to 850-900 and caught 3 more Mahi with 2 being keepers. Headed back in around 1pm. Caught a bunch of small almaco jack that we threw back.

Ended up taking the kids out that evening at the edge of our canal. They caught a ton of pinfish, snapper and other trash fish. I made the mistake of barehanding a leather jack. Those spines hurt something bad. Took about two hours for the pain to subside. I won't make that mistake again.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Keep an eye on that leatherjack stick. It's almost as bad as a 'cuda cut for getting infected.
Always kept a jug of bleach and a can of starting fluid on the boat. Both were multi-purpose. Bleach is a good wound disinfectant and starting fluid made it quit hurting real fast.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Always kept a jug of bleach and a can of starting fluid on the boat. Both were multi-purpose. Bleach is a good wound disinfectant and starting fluid made it quit hurting real fast.

A guy I used to work with was cutting metal and a hot piece of slag splashed back on his leg. He dropped his britches and sprayed starting fluid on it. That was the first time that I had seen anybody do that. He said the same thing. It stops the pain.