Kerr lake Reciprocal agreements?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I know you are covered when on the water for fishing Kerr and Gaston but?
What happens in the case you have fish and are in VA boat ramp?
Can you fish from land in VA with NC FL?

NCWRC state "accessible by boat"

Going to the Ice Bowl this weekend want to make sure I'm covered for weigh in, being it is on land in VA.

I remember being told years ago I was fine with NC FL as long as I was in the boat.
That implies maybe from shore you need a VA FL.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Why not remove all doubt and get a VA short term license. If you're luck is like mine you'll get to meet the new VA Warden that feels he needs to make a name for himself in ONE weekend.... The weekend you're there.....

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Yes ,have fished kerr lake for 40 plus years with nc license ,on boat or on the bank unless it has changed in the last 3months which i doubt .

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yep you are ok...anywhere on Kerr in a boat is legal. you could technically go up the Stanton to the 360? bridge and legal up the Dan River to past the YMCA in Danville but you would need a jet drive to get above the Brickyard.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
There is no doubt, you can fish from bank in Virginia with NC License as long as the water is under the agreement. I get a Virginia License every year but I take friends who have been checked but dont have the Va license

Reciprocal Licenses
All reciprocal license agreements listed below refer to both boat and bank anglers.

Waterbody Agreement Buggs Island (Kerr) and GastonVirginia or North Carolina state fishing licenses and permits are honored on those waters lying east of Union Street Dam on the Dan River in Virginia and the mouth of Difficult Creek on the Staunton River of Kerr Reservoir to the Gaston Dam on the Roanoke River, including all tributary waters accessible by boat from the main bodies of the reservoirs, or from the Island Creek subimpoundment. Note: North Carolina regulations apply on North Carolina portions of these waters. Virginia regulations apply in Virginia waters.Blue Ridge ParkwayVirginia and North Carolina licenses are honored on all Parkway waters. Note: Virginia regulations apply in Parkway waters in Virginia except where noted herein or in federal regulations.New RiverVirginia or North Carolina state fishing licenses and permits are honored on the mainstream portion lying between the confluence of the North and South Forks of the New River in North Carolina (Alleghany County) downstream to the confluence of the New and Little rivers in Virginia (Grayson County).Potomac RiverVirginia has reciprocal license agreements for three sections of the Potomac River, one above the District of Columbia and two below the District of Columbia. License requirements are different for these sections.Upper Potomac River [above Little Falls (upper border with the District of Columbia) to the West Virginia border/state line]:Resident anglers with state freshwater licenses in Virginia or Maryland may fish the Potomac River and from both banks.Middle Potomac and its Tidal Freshwater Tributaries (between Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Rt. 301)Valid Virginia freshwater and saltwater (excluding county licenses), Potomac River Fisheries Commission, and Maryland Bay sport licenses are all honored on the mainstem Potomac and Maryland tributaries up to the demarcation lines (see below); all of these same licenses, except the Virginia saltwater licenses, are honored on the Virginia tributaries up to demarcation lines (see below): Virginia tributaries up to the following demarcation lines:

Last edited:

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
You have fished the Va side on the bank with a Nc license all this time?
Yes Sir have fished from the dam all the way up to the mouth of the dan river,have never had an issue,also have fished behind the dam as well all the way into gaston.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes Sir have fished from the dam all the way up to the mouth of the dan river,have never had an issue,also have fished behind the dam as well all the way into gaston.
I just got it clarified from a friend that is an officer up there. You are absolutely correct.

Last edited:

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm pretty sure I remember putting in at a couple of VA launches when I lived up that way, and I didn't buy VA license. I remember, because I had to pay on site to launch my boat.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Just make sure that NC wins gadget. I'll pay your fine if you win the tourney.
But these guys are right there wont be any fine.
Good luck!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just make sure that NC wins gadget. I'll pay your fine if you win the tourney.
But these guys are right there wont be any fine.
Good luck!
Going up to have fun is the plan. Never fished that area or this time of the year there.
Hope to go there and have fun, learn and not freeze to death. .. will be happy if I can boat a few.

Going after bait friday..
Looks like cast nets are still legal there and the removed the 50 bait fish limit so that is a good thing.

Thanks

GO NC......

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Going up to have fun is the plan. Never fished that area or this time of the year there.
Hope to go there and have fun, learn and not freeze to death. .. will be happy if I can boat a few.

Going after bait friday..
Looks like cast nets are still legal there and the removed the 50 bait fish limit so that is a good thing.

Thanks

GO NC......
Bait will be terrible to get up there this time of year good luck. I know several guys from down here that fish that tournament every year. They always catch bait here prior to going up there.