Kentucky activates its CWD response plan

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Its not pot stirring. Its a real heads up (fyi) since the WRC wants to do the same thing if CWD shows up within 30 miles of the NC/VA border.

KY and NC are similar in regards to (A) allowing deer baiting and (B) deer biologists wanting to outlaw it in areas as a response to CWD positives/confirmations.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
KDFWR enacts regulation changes in response to CWD for 5 counties in KY. The baiting prohibition is probably the biggest and is it a precursor to what would happen in NC?

yes my God yes- we all know it's the end of NC deer baiting as we know it. You can say you warned us when it happens.
Until then just let the sleeping dog lie- the consequences are too horrific to consider. And it starts an endless circle of conjecture and opinion and "I wish they would" BS.
Just hunt or not and adjust if the state mandates it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its not pot stirring. Its a real heads up (fyi) since the WRC wants to do the same thing if CWD shows up within 30 miles of the NC/VA border.

KY and NC are similar in regards to (A) allowing deer baiting and (B) deer biologists wanting to outlaw it in areas as a response to CWD positives/confirmations.
Where in Ky is within 30 miles of NC?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
CWD plans include increased harvests limits. I would venture a guess that harvest numbers would drop because so many ‘hunters’ can’t find deer without corn.

So back to square one.
i would guess the harvest would go down because of that pesky feeling that cwd deer arent exactly what you want to handle or eat.
Of course it could get to the point of killem all : leave them where they fall. Like permits.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You know exactly what I meant but I will help others who don't:

Upon confirmation of CWD within 30 miles of a Kentucky border, the following management actions will be implemented:

4. Baiting and feeding of cervids within the surveillance area will be prohibited by emergency regulation.

FIELD RESPONSE IF CWD IS DETECTED WITHIN 30 MILES OF NORTH CAROLINA’S BORDERS

If the index location is within 30 miles of the North Carolina border an SSA will be established. Additionally, a PSA will be established if the index location is within 5 miles of the North Carolina border. Previously described sampling and management actions will be implemented within the PSA and SSA.

Baiting and Feeding The Commission will prohibit intentional baiting and feeding of free-ranging cervids using the NCAC rule-making process within both the PSA and SSA. Recognizing the complexity associated with prohibiting the intentional baiting and feeding of free-ranging cervids, any prohibition would not begin during an ongoing, active deer hunting season.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny, there was a recent podcast with some of the most respected biologists in the country. Their mutual consensus was the two hemorrhagic diseases were far more deadly overall to the deer herd than CWD.

They also said that the main thing about CWD was it was a great topic for the fear pandering crowd as most people don’t understand it.