Kennels?

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I’m about to move. And about to build some all new kennels wanted to know everyone’s opinion as far as kennel size? And flooring opinions?
thanks guys. I wouldn’t mind to see a few pictures if y’all have any

Last edited:

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I like 10x10, my current pens are on a wood deck 12" of the ground. I also have a metal roof over each of them. If my septic tank lines weren't so close to the pens I would have concrete.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer concrete, if they crap, pee, puke or bleed I see it and know what is up. It has saved me some headaches and alerted me to problems early.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I have a very elaborate set-up which involves a barn, septic tanks, drain lines, houses inside the barn and runs on the outside taken years to get it like I want but I also keep alot of hounds. I use a combination of sand and gravel on my outside runs . I would use a sand base covered with gravel fairly easy clean-up. I have always gone with sunlight is a great natural sanitizer, so I would not cover it completely.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i'f I had to do it over again....lol....concrete floors...….metal roof.....let the concrete run out past the front to give you a walkway and let roof come out to cover concrete......power and water with frost-proof faucet......shed to keep dog stuff and food......cheap fans to keep flys down......slope the concrete if possible to help drainage.....leave about a 3 inch gap off the floor along the back wall to push out waste......I like the plastic barrels for houses....cut a square out on the side near the end...this will keep wind from blowing straight in on cold days.....I used some pvc pipe to make a slide to pour food into the bowl while standing outside the pen.....if I think of more i'll post it up....

btw....all I keep is beagles....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a sanitary sewer also. Note make sure to have plenty of slope on your concrete. Takes me about 5 mins to wash down 10 kennels. That beats shoveling crap hands down any day.

whitty

Six Pointer
I have heard a lot of horror stories about the septic systems on kennels. How do you have them set up so they continue to work and not get stopped up. I’m about to build some new kennels and am looking for ideas also.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard a lot of horror stories about the septic systems on kennels. How do you have them set up so they continue to work and not get stopped up. I’m about to build some new kennels and am looking for ideas also.
Leaves are your main culprit for stopping one up. I keep a test plug in my down pipe when leaves are falling. I blow the trough that all the washdown runs in before I turn the sluice on that washes the waste out down to the sanitary system.

Also if I fill the houses up too full with straw or other bedding it will accumulate here and I can blow that out also. I have had this system 16 years and never had but two major clogs and that was before I figured out about the leaves.

Reactions: RJ1

Avery Creek

Twelve Pointer
Concrete floor is the only way to go, much easier to keep clean over pea gravel and will not rot or be chewed up like wood. Be sure to pour a walkway and that your walkway is covered, keeps you out of the mud when it's pouring rain at feeding time.

Power is important for lights and fans, I also have security cameras, but it's my business so I think that is necessity.

A septic tank is worth the effort and money to keep the kennel area from being constantly wet and muddy and to keep the smell down. I have 25 kennels and a 500 gallon septic tank. With the retrievers my biggest issue is hair clogging the septic tank up. I get mine pumped twice a year and there is usually 6" of hair built up floating at the top. We clean the kennels daily so there is a lot of water moving through everyday, so twice a year isn't too bad in my opinion. If I had it to do over I would have put a 1,000 or 1,500 gallon tank in, but it is what it is.

Wall mount fans, like the one's Tractor Supply sells are great for keeping air circulating which helps keep it cooler in warmer weather and keeps flies down. I also have ceiling fans in the rafters that run 24/7/365.

Also, take a look at the Wysiwash system, it sanitizes and smells good, and is non toxic to the dogs; for under $200 it's well worth it. I've been using it for several years and will buy another in a heartbeat if needed.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions, over the years of making my living with a kennel of dogs I have learned a lot as far as things to do or not to do.

whitty

Six Pointer
Yeah hair is what I have always heard was the biggest problem. Nccatfisher do you have a problem with hair.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
I didn’t even think about septic systems. Makes since with it being in a permanent spot. I need to think a lil more as far as waste I’m liking all the info guys keep it coming !

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah hair is what I have always heard was the biggest problem. Nccatfisher do you have a problem with hair.
Haven't so far, my dogs (cur) are pretty short haired. That being said I haven't run my kennels to full capacity to recent years to I started back deer hunting. Plus I do have a 1K tank, it may catch up to me eventually.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I wish I had pictures and dimensions of the man I used to live by in Hubert. Had to been over an acre. Split into 6-8 runs. Had a fenced front area so he could drive in and close the gate and then let the dogs he wanted to the truck to load. Each run had a post framed peak roof with a platform about 6’ off the ground that the dogs could lay on and there were plastic barrel houses slung under the platform. Food and water could be maintained from the loading area, without entering the runs. He used to keep 30+ hounds and had smaller runs at the end for a couple squirrel dogs and pets. It was big enough that the waste was taken care of by Mother Nature.