Keatts vs cheats

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
That was a solid ACC road win for the Heels at Paige-Maye coliseum over a team that really gets after it on defense, and should win a ton of games this season. Will be interesting to see if any top recruits can be lured to Raleigh by their new style of play and coaching...

State only shot 2.8% less from the floor than UNC, so you can say NCSU missed a lot of shots but so did UNC. The greater story was the rebounding discrepancy. UNC dominated the glass on both sides of the court.
I preface this statement by saying that i thought the officiating was actually decent last night. Sure there was a call here or there, but most of the time if i didn't agree with the call there was a "makeup" call on the other end pretty quick.

Walker and Funderburk both having 3 fouls in the first half didn't help NCSU at all. Not blaming that on the refs, just making the point that NCSU only has a couple of big guys and that's a limitation that they will have all year.

I thought NCSU actually played really well considering what this team has been through in the last year or two. Imagine how they will be in another year or two when we start recruiting better talent! The effort this team gives makes up for a lot of athleticism that this team doesn't have. That in itself will win games, but UNC's superior talent showed last night. I will make one statement though: NCSU showed last night that they will be a tough team down the stretch.

I preface this statement by saying that i thought the officiating was actually decent last night. Sure there was a call here or there, but most of the time if i didn't agree with the call there was a "makeup" call on the other end pretty quick.

Walker and Funderburk both having 3 fouls in the first half didn't help NCSU at all. Not blaming that on the refs, just making the point that NCSU only has a couple of big guys and that's a limitation that they will have all year.

I thought NCSU actually played really well considering what this team has been through in the last year or two. Imagine how they will be in another year or two when we start recruiting better talent! The effort this team gives makes up for a lot of athleticism that this team doesn't have. That in itself will win games, but UNC's superior talent showed last night. I will make one statement though: NCSU showed last night that they will be a tough team down the stretch.

I thought it was a well officiated game.

It’s no coincidence that Bryan Kersey, head of ACC officials, went with a non ACC crew for this game.

Why did he have to do that?

Speaks volumes of the garbage officials he employs in the conference.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I will make one statement though: NCSU showed last night that they will be a tough team down the stretch.
One thing about 'down the stretch' is that teams will ultimately either begin to play better as they iron out kinks (especially those with youthful talent) or they'll get worn down (those with limited depth/talent). State is limited to it's depth, especially in the front court. I don't use the term 'depth' in terms of how many players you can play but how many you can play efficiently. They can't afford any injuries and they surely can't afford foul trouble. That in and of itself is not a good formula when said stretch comes and March Madness is looming. It's not to say that NC State won't flourish, it's to say it's not likely. State can't really play much better than they are right now given the team they have and brutal nature of ACC play, and like many others, I think State is a year or 2 away.

That was a solid ACC road win for the Heels at Paige-Maye coliseum over a team that really gets after it on defense, and should win a ton of games this season. Will be interesting to see if any top recruits can be lured to Raleigh by their new style of play and coaching...
#4 Combo Guard, #29th in the country Jalen Lecque is signed for next year.

One thing about 'down the stretch' is that teams will ultimately either begin to play better as they iron out kinks (especially those with youthful talent) or they'll get worn down (those with limited depth/talent). State is limited to it's depth, especially in the front court. I don't use the term 'depth' in terms of how many players you can play but how many you can play efficiently. They can't afford any injuries and they surely can't afford foul trouble. That in and of itself is not a good formula when said stretch comes and March Madness is looming. It's not to say that NC State won't flourish, it's to say it's not likely. State can't really play much better than they are right now given the team they have and brutal nature of ACC play, and like many others, I think State is a year or 2 away.
Not disagreeing with anything, but for what it’s worth, Keatts did plan on having 3 or 4 big men playing minutes this year to have that depth. 1 transferred after 1st game and other had season ending injury. Don’t think this is how Keatts really drew it up. I’m sure he would love to have those guys now.

Next year he’ll have Manny Bates (unproven), Funderburk, Walker, and Killeya-Jones next year.

Much better depth on front line.

as a general rule how do yall think of sitting your key folks for extended periods due to "foul trouble"?
the announcer last night thought state was wise in keeping their best player down the whole 1st half.
yall agree?

as a general rule how do yall think of sitting your key folks for extended periods due to "foul trouble"?
the announcer last night thought state was wise in keeping their best player down the whole 1st half.
yall agree?
As long as State kept it within 4-8 points, I think Keatts was content with keeping him on the bench.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Not disagreeing with anything, but for what it’s worth, Keatts did plan on having 3 or 4 big men playing minutes this year to have that depth. 1 transferred after 1st game and other had season ending injury. Don’t think this is how Keatts really drew it up. I’m sure he would love to have those guys now.

Next year he’ll have Manny Bates (unproven), Funderburk, Walker, and Killeya-Jones next year.

Much better depth on front line.
I agree, this wasn't plan but it is the reality. I do think they look MUCH better than during the Gott years, it's just going to take time for Keatts to get his roster where he'd like it. Getting Killeya-Jones will be a big help next year.

I agree with those points. i just mean that even with the foul trouble of the big guys that was still a pretty close game. I don't think NCSU has a shot at winning it all by any means, but i do think that they have a very good chance of upsetting a couple good teams before they get knocked out.

Thread starter #104
I agree, this wasn't plan but it is the reality. I do think they look MUCH better than during the Gott years, it's just going to take time for Keatts to get his roster where he'd like it. Getting Killeya-Jones will be a big help next year.
This is the first unbiased post you’ve ever had about ACC sports...congrats...sincerely, congrats.

I’m not even gonna undermine you with 42 or blue light special taunting, Alt...

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
To be fair to State fans, I really like Keatts. A lot. The guy knows basketball and has the ability to recruit, connect and get the most out of his players. When you can combine that with talent, look out!

I still think Doeren is a fraud however who will revert back to his pre-Drinkwitz years now that Drink is gone.

Thread starter #108
uh all pines- when might you be posting an unbiased remark concerningUNC CH?
I wont be holding my breath. LOL
Anytime you want one...seriously, ask me an honest question in a thread that isn’t predominantly trash talk and I’ll oblige...remember, one of my “papers” is from unc

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Keatts will more than likely be gone in a few years. Not knocking State as a program but he's probably looking for bigger and better things....

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Keatts will more than likely be gone in a few years. Not knocking State as a program but he's probably looking for bigger and better things....
He can win all he wants at State. They've won a pile of ACC championships and 2 national championships.

If he keeps winning, State will pay the man to keep him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wturkey01

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
He can win all he wants at State. They've won a pile of ACC championships and 2 national championships.

Yep! FYI - Everett Case won some conference championships from 1946-1956. The NCAA championships were 45 & 36 years ago!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

LMAO....1/2 the members on this forum were not even alive when those Happened...... Funny stuff.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns

LMAO....1/2 the members on this forum were not even alive when those Happened...... Funny stuff.
And?

Do they not count since they were years ago?

What's the cutoff date for when championships start counting?

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Championships from any year count for fans and alums.

However, for players and coaches, it's only the recent ones that matter. No 18 year old is headed to a school because it won a Natty in 1957, especially since back then only white players were allowed to participate.

Players will go to school that put folks in the NBA and NFL. In those terms, State has been relevant. They don’t put in as many as UNC, Duke, or Kentucky but they get some guys in the league. Same in football. That will bring in more guys than NCAA.

The thing that excites me about this team is the fact that they are 13-2 (roughly?) with a couple nice wins and two competitive losses. They have zero, ZERO NBA talent, they just go out there and get after it. State started the game 0-10, including missing 4-5 lay ups. They were down 19-5. We have seen that before. Last to,e, we lost by 40. This time we clawed back and competed until the final buzzer. That's what's different, and that's what exciting. Losing a game when you left it all on the floor isn't a hard pill to swallow. Go Pack!

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Championships from any year count for fans and alums.
Thank you.

I've never understood the "your titles were 40 years ago"...

So?

State wasn't a great job under Gott. Keatts took the job and is making it good. If he keeps winning, he can make it a great job. Personally, I don't see him leaving anytime soon. A blue blood job is open right now. Keatts name has been floated around it, but he's not taking it.

It's a place where championships have been won. They've got the third most ACC titles. That's much different than a place where championships haven't been won.

Clemson football is a prime example. They last won a title (that was surrounded in cheating) in 1981. They haven't been much in the national picture before Dabo took over. Now he's turned them into arguably the top program in college football.

It can be done.

Anytime you want one...seriously, ask me an honest question in a thread that isn’t predominantly trash talk and I’ll oblige...remember, one of my “papers” is from unc
ok.
this thread is heading south anyway.
Do you really believe the "swofford wants unc to win" or are you just stirring with those takes.
It's pretty work either way.