Kayak Striper fishing??

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I’m an experienced Kayak fisherman, have fished saltwater in NC and FL, but mainly crappie in Piedmont lakes.

I’ve never caught a striper and won’t too this spring.

I prefer DIY kayak... where and when should I go? Weldon is out of the question for safety reasons

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I cant see your location on my phone, so I dont know how far you are from the lakes I will mention. Catawba River chain, specifically Hickory and Lookout, have treated me well striper fishing. I take my kayak out of my in laws lake house and hit 127 bridge area and the points around there. For Lookout, I put in at Riverbend park and float down to main lake, get someone to pick me up at WRC landing at dam. Big swimbaits in chartreuse, or shad color at points in main lake. Bucktails on the river (3/4 or 1 oz) thrown on downstream side of large boulders in river. Live shad always works great, too. I landed a 26" in kayak last year. Land many 14-20" throughout spring. A striper will give you a good fight in a yak.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Drop off at the big bridge on Chesapeake bay and drag some big eel across the rock ledges and bridge pillars. 50#ers are common and will take you for a ride.
I’ve never done it but have some friends in Va that are serious kayakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I cant see your location on my phone, so I dont know how far you are from the lakes I will mention. Catawba River chain, specifically Hickory and Lookout, have treated me well striper fishing. I take my kayak out of my in laws lake house and hit 127 bridge area and the points around there. For Lookout, I put in at Riverbend park and float down to main lake, get someone to pick me up at WRC landing at dam. Big swimbaits in chartreuse, or shad color at points in main lake. Bucktails on the river (3/4 or 1 oz) thrown on downstream side of large boulders in river. Live shad always works great, too. I landed a 26" in kayak last year. Land many 14-20" throughout spring. A striper will give you a good fight in a yak.

In piedmont, Rowan county

redbow

Ten Pointer
Weldon is not put of the question. I've seen guys do it with much success. I've seen guys do it when the flow is high (greater than 15000 cfs) but I would not recommend it. I think it is very doable when the flow is 6000 to 7000 cfs but you still should be extremely careful.

RBR

Six Pointer
go to new bern and paddle to the bridge easy peasy.
ramp is short distance away.
This works well, I have a trolling motor on mine and can troll between the piling length ways under the bridge this is very productive for me.

Also mouth of Roanoke and Cashie rivers in the spring season trolling the channel with Yozuris. Good luck! The hwy 45 bridge is pretty good for a couple using a curly tail grab jigging around the bridge piling.