Kayak hunting the outter banks

Does anyone or has anyone hunted north of Jacksonville from a kayak. Never done it looking for advice and or suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
You can’t go to much further before you start running into blind laws. Pamlico county is pretty much the limit. Your post says outer banks do you truly mean that or just creek and marshes. There are very few days or places I would want to be in kayak during duck season on the banks.

You can’t go to much further before you start running into blind laws. Pamlico county is pretty much the limit. Your post says outer banks do you truly mean that or just creek and marshes. There are very few days or places I would want to be in kayak during duck season on the banks.

Marshes and creeks would be better I guess. Just looking for info on hunting teal from a kayak I guess. Thanks

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Cape Lookout National Seashore is open to duck hunting. I've also seen people hunting the marshes of Ocracoke that is part of the National Seashore. Carteret County has the "Safe Hunter" Law that prohibits anyone from hunting within 500 yards of a blind unless you are the riparian landowner. Game Lands are a possibility but almost impossible to reach with a kayak. Teal hunting the downeast marshes from a Kayak during the early season would be pure hell. I doubt you could carry enough bug dope in a kayak. :eek:

Ok you say game lands are a possibility. How about catfish waterfowl impoundment. Any idea how that is

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Cape Lookout National Seashore is open to duck hunting. I've also seen people hunting the marshes of Ocracoke that is part of the National Seashore. Carteret County has the "Safe Hunter" Law that prohibits anyone from hunting within 500 yards of a blind unless you are the riparian landowner. Game Lands are a possibility but almost impossible to reach with a kayak. Teal hunting the downeast marshes from a Kayak during the early season would be pure hell. I doubt you could carry enough bug dope in a kayak. :eek:
How do the blind laws of Dare County restrict hunting via kayak the marshes of Okracoke?

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
I wouldn’t think it would have any bearing as it’s in Hyde county not dare. NC has a few dead kayak hunters nearly every season.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Check the hunting regs for Cape Lookout National Seashore. It's federal land so a lot of the local laws do not apply. Besides, if they "give you permission" to hunt and they are the riparian landowner then it doesn't matter anyway. There are a lot of creeks on Ocracoke north of the village. The problem is parking and keeping the local guides from burning your vehicle. ;)

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is no law that I know of to prevent you from hunting the Catfish impoundment, or the lake from a kayak. However, there ARE alligators in those waters. Probably won't bother you, but I would NEVER bring my dog on such a foray.

A better option may be this: Any water body you can enter from a DOT right of way is legal to hunt from a kayak/boat so long as you stay ON the water and do not step foot on land...dry or water covered.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
The Catfish Lake Game lands are only open on certain days during the season, check your GL book to see which ones. And as mentioned, gators are there and dogs have been taken by them so proceed with extreme caution.

Mathews Archer

Six Pointer
you can hunt the public impoundments during teal season without a permit (White Oak, Goose Creek, etc). Make sure you have a life jacket and bug spray in your yak. May want to take a fishing pole along as teal hunting in NC can be hit or miss.

Thanks everyone for the help I think we will try to get into the impoundment Not bringing a dog Hopefully the gators will leave us alone