Kayak fishing eastern NC

Tunit34

Button Buck
I’m looking for some spots to take my kayak out. I live in Tarboro and I am in Greenville and Rocky mount all the time. I primarily bass fish but am open to really anything. I have heard there are good creeks and swamp areas to fish but I’m not from NC originally so I have no idea what’s accessible or not. Just looking for any insight really. Never gotten out on the Tar bc of how fast the water moves but there may be areas I am unaware of you can go. Much appreciated!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many, many of the creeks around and east of Greenville are accessible by kayak either by launching at a local ramp or beside roadside bridges if parking is adequate and there are none that I know of that will present a problem with current. Too, the same tackle and tactics you probably use for bass will do just fine for trout, puppy drum, and flounder as well. I use a Carolina rig more often than not, modified only by a slightly longer leader and substituting a Gulp bait for a worm...

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My son and one of his cousins used to kayak and fish from Shiloh Mills on 258 outside of Princeville, to the commons in Tarboro with no problems.

Tunit34

Button Buck
My son and one of his cousins used to kayak and fish from Shiloh Mills on 258 outside of Princeville, to the commons in Tarboro with no problems.
I’ve fished here a couple times without much luck, get the feeling it receives a lot of pressure

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
tar is easily kayaked. and any tributary coming off it will produce fish.
current is usually not an issue for kayaks.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Get on google maps and look at the satellite version of the map and just study study study it for areas close to you or close to where you want to go. Then go and explore. Look for bridges that cross creeks, public access areas, etc. also this is a great book that you should look into about navigating most every creek and river in eastern nc.9F39EE28-E181-486E-AFCC-7FAD3E5CC8CC.png

Tunit34

Button Buck
Get on google maps and look at the satellite version of the map and just study study study it for areas close to you or close to where you want to go. Then go and explore. Look for bridges that cross creeks, public access areas, etc. also this is a great book that you should look into about navigating most every creek and river in eastern nc.View attachment 76782
Wow haven’t seen this resource I will absolutely be getting that, I appreciate the insight

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Wow haven’t seen this resource I will absolutely be getting that, I appreciate the insight

You can thank Mack on here. I bought it long ago after he recommended it. It tells you NOTHING about fishing. It tells you about navigable waters, rapids, dams, portages, etc. There is a world of knowledge in that book.

Game On

Four Pointer
I live in Tarboro. Taking a group 4H ers out Saturday morning on the Tar. Its not to swift. Matter of fact, it's perfect right now. Low and slow. I often use kayak for transportation while wade fishing when water is low, like now!!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You can thank Mack on here. I bought it long ago after he recommended it. It tells you NOTHING about fishing. It tells you about navigable waters, rapids, dams, portages, etc. There is a world of knowledge in that book.
I use that book along with 2 others. when I get time I will post them on here. Several years ago my wife wanted me to get rid of my books. Lol. told her NOPE.