Kansas adventure

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So Earl and I went to North Central Kansas to chase some birds in our continuing quest to keep him on wild birds for exposure, training, and learning

achieved all three. Even got some furred game retrieving. I sent Earl into a plum thicket to look for birds and he came out toting a skunk!! Knucklehead,,,
luckily it was dead and only smelled "some",,,no ill effects for Earl

we were into quail and pheasants every day,,,the pheasants were TOUGH for us as they have been hit hard all season and would run and then often flush wild. No interference from other hunters until the last day. Only pheasants in range were hens,,,so no roosters shot,,,and we got a handful of quail each day as I'd only take one from each covey.

Beautiful country,,,lots of game,,,and some SERIOUS deer sign

Earl with the first wild bobwhite that he found the covey, pointed, marked, and retrieved - it fell in the brush in the ditch along this "road"

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
“he found the covey, pointed, marked, and retrieved”

^ Doesn't get much better than that! Congrats on a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That's cool and of course wind always blowing in ks looks pretty chilly. Did you see many turkeys I know kansas is cutting big chunk of state to 1 bird spring limit just wondering if any big winter flocks seen

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Gotcha I kinda hated see them leave only north central with 2 bird limit gonna put lot pressure on it hate to see the decline I've had lot fun out there. Glad you got into some quail I used see lot pheasant just riding the of course this is spring time

Randy

Ten Pointer
In the 1990s I hunted with my Dad and some friends in Washington and Republic Counties several times. Used to find some nice coveys back then. I really miss that. I'm glad you had a good trip.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
You needed a blocker !

If I could'a been there, I'd done it. Even though those Pheasants ain't worth eating...lol (y)

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That gives me some hope. We hunted north central Kansas this fall and no one in our area saw much for quail or pheasants. Glad to hear it might have just been localized

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Hunted ring necks in and around Wall, S. Dakota in 1965/66. Those were the good old days. Plenty of open land to hunt and lots of birds. And someone said not fit to eat. IMO Someone doesn't know how to cook them :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: