Attachments

• Screenshot_20210831-085329_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210831-085329_Gallery.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 15

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Kangaroo on command?

Been feeding the deer every day for 28 years. I figured that since I take from somewhere, I also need to give back somewhere else, so why not my house? The doe up on her hind legs was orphaned when she was less than 2 months old. She watched her mother eat from my hand and has always trusted me. It took her 2 minutes to learn to go up on her hind legs for a treat. I only do this with her about 3 or 4 times a year, just to see if she retains it. She is the great, great, grand daughter of the first wild deer that ever ate from my hand. The doe wagging her tail out is that doe's grandmother, and she lived for 13 years & was taken out a few properties away 5 years ago on Veteran's Day. The standing doe is now 8 years old. Over the years I've learned tons about their behavior and have tested their reaction to buck lures & attractants. This year, there were 2 does and 5 button bucks born to the herd. So, next Fall should be fun to watch. For the most part, the only time I see mature bucks here is during the rut when they're cruising for does.

Also, they are cool with me being in my backyard where I feed them, but if I'm in the woods, they're tail up & going away. Same if they smell or see someone they don't know.

Backyard Bambies.jpeg

Jim