Just Moved To Wilmington NC - Excited To Explore Fishing/Crabbing - Any Recommendations? Thanks!

lukedh94

Button Buck
Hey guys!

My wife and I just moved to Wilmington from Charlottesville Virginia - we love saltwater fishing (that's pretty much the reason we moved). We are real excited to explore the area but wanted to see if anyone could point us in the right direction of place to explore first. Don't need any specific spot but more general areas/parks/etc. - thanks for the help we really appreciate it! We don't have a boat so we'd just be wading and/or fishing from shore!
  1. We love wade fishing for inshore species (specks, red drum, etc.) but it seems like a lot of the bottom is super muddy and you sink in up to your knees. Is there any sandy bottom area that's a good place to wade fish? We tried wading with the muddy bottom but it was about impossible haha.
  2. Surf fishing - Are there any beaches that are a lot better for surf fishing vs the others. Trying to find a beach that isn't too flat and has a nice trough in between sandbars. Also not sure if jetty fishing is popular around here but would love to try that out if its effective. My favorite species is probably speckled trout but love catching spanish, red drum, blues and pretty much anything else that'll bite. So yea not sure if there's a really good beach and/or jetty for fishing.
  3. Crabbing - we love to crab. We don't have a boat or anything so we are land based and usually use chicken on strings. Any good public access to crab? I will say the crabs seem to prefer the muddy bottom over the sand so definitely excited to check out some spots - but not sure if there are any good access points that aren't too croweded - would appreciate any tips!
  4. Clamming - we also love clamming! We usually don't use rakes and generally just wade around and feel them out with our hands and feet - are there clamming spots around here?
  5. Shrimping - also love throwing the cast net for shrimp - any good public access spots to cast on some shrimp?
  6. Flounder gigging - so this is something I've never done before but really want to! We don't have a boat so we'd be wading. Again not sure if there is a good area with a relatively sandy bottom so we aren't sinking into the mud - but I can't wait to give it a try!
Thanks for the help! We are super excited to be living in Wilmington and on the beach!

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Flounder Striking isn’t worth it under the current regulations. Hope this helps.

It's going to be difficult for the wade giggers that's for sure. I did however have my best night ever last year after a sprinkle of rain ran the boats off the water, so all hope isn't lost.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Follow this guy,,, he posts videos all the time about that kind of fishing,,,

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Look it up om ewwww tube, is that what you want us to do all the time?
Follow this guy,,, he posts videos all the time about that kind of fishing,,,

Dang. I’m in tears. Y’all are too much. Worst part is, as I clicked the damn link I thought “now that another window is opening on my browser, I already know where this is headed”

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
:) :) :)
Hey guys!
Hey guys,
Hey guys!
Hi Everyone!
Morning yall,
Hey yall!
Hey yall!
Hey yall!
Hey guys!
Hey guys!
Hey guys!
Hey guys!
Hey yall!
Hey guys!
Hey guys!
Hey guys!
Hey Yall,
Hey guys!
Hey Guys!
Hey guys!
Hey Everyone,
Hey Everyone!
Hey Guys!
Hey everyone!
Hey guys!
Hey everyone!
Hey guys!

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I do hear Meth is available everywhere, so at least you'll be excited to sink in the mud....

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
You can probably get crabs down near the waterfront. Really nice clams at Wrightsville beach. Fishing sucks to the south so you better off staying north east of the river

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You probably could get crabs a little farther inland in Wilmington, that is if someone doesn't cap your azz first.
Yep, I really like that area but there are some rough spots in Wilmington

Head down to fort fisher and check out the museum and aquarium!

lukedh94

Button Buck
You probably could get crabs a little farther inland in Wilmington, that is if someone doesn't cap your azz first.
Hahaha cool good to know thanks! By inland wilmington - do you mean along the river or are there other public access spots? Thanks again really appreciate the help!

lukedh94

Button Buck
You can probably get crabs down near the waterfront. Really nice clams at Wrightsville beach. Fishing sucks to the south so you better off staying north east of the river
Actually quick question - do you generally find the clams at the southern tip down by the coast guard station? Or are you talking more about the northern section...thanks man!

lukedh94

Button Buck
Yep, I really like that area but there are some rough spots in Wilmington

Head down to fort fisher and check out the museum and aquarium!
I actually explored fort fisher yesterday - saw a ton of shrimp and I think red drum chasing the shrimp. Also saw an alligator skull hahah so that wa pretty cool - and yea I'm a big aquarium nerd I can't wait to go - thanks man!

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Actually quick question - do you generally find the clams at the southern tip down by the coast guard station? Or are you talking more about the northern section...thanks man!
North end . Riches inlet area is usually open to shellfish. Plenty around masonboro but that's more seasonal

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Hahaha cool good to know thanks! By inland wilmington - do you mean along the river or are there other public access spots? Thanks again really appreciate the help!

iu