Just finished surf fishing rod holders

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just got them finished.
Wanted some HD rod holders and taller with larger tube for the 12' surf rods.
Used 2" pipe so it is thick wall with 2" ID and about 2.375 OD. Tubes themselves are in the 15" long.
Used 1.5x1.5 angle .25" thick so it is stiff and 4' long.
Did not measure but about 56" over all so should keep the rods up where they are easy to get and also help keep the lines higher in the surf. Bost have a rod stop on the bottom. Used gas hose to cover the ss screw.
Anyways few pictures.

Attachments

• 20180824_113010.jpg
    20180824_113010.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20180824_113005.jpg
    20180824_113005.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 74
  • 20180824_113026.jpg
    20180824_113026.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 72

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks man.
I think a few pluses are taller and don't have the foot bar to push into the sand that I keep hitting my foot or leg on. Little more compact to carry and store.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Looks good. Very similar to mine. Angle aluminum with PVC tops. I hit the tops of the PVC with a torch to round them over. When rocked into the sand they have held 200lb+ sand tigers until I can clear other lines.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thats the same trick my friend used.
He would heat the tube and press a funnel in the top to flare it out.
I sanded mine a bunch. Being pipe I plan to do to HD and get some rubber coupler like you use for PVC. It looks to fit and has a taper plus the rubber will protect it some.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Thats the same trick my friend used.
He would heat the tube and press a funnel in the top to flare it out.
I sanded mine a bunch. Being pipe I plan to do to HD and get some rubber coupler like you use for PVC. It looks to fit and has a taper plus the rubber will protect it some.
I use those on the rod rack. Pipe clamp them on the bottom drill a hole towards the top and cut a slit, The spinning reels fit in them and a somewhat locked down.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Mr Gadget, looks like some I made years ago, out of the angle. Since then, I have taken the alum. angle and cut off about 8 inches and welded it to like 2" alum. holders, and welded a 3/8" rod to the angle piece for the stake, with a welded foot piece to push into sand. Have 3 of these, and what I like about mine, with the rod in the holder, the 3/8" stake will sway back/forth with the wave movement, give quiet a bit with a strong strike....bend way over but never fall over....about a foot in the sand. Light weight, can stand all three in one rod holder on my cart. The angle piece welded to the holder will allow for a plastic cup to hold my sand fleas/shrimp. Mine has the black rubber caps that is on the Fish Mate surf carts...can buy them on line and I just replaced all of mine this summer.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I use 1" wide 4' long sections of 6061 aluminum C-channel to make mine and add a poly rod holder on top. The C-channel is a lot lighter than the aluminum angle I used to use and still very strong. I expect they will last a good long while.

<>< Fish

JgJMehf.jpg

XOgJHr7.jpg

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Made these last fall. Bottom “cup” is adjustable. Can just use a different hole if need be, though I haven’t needed to.

Attachments

• 321BFC4A-0368-4B20-9DF8-91A186ACF22E.jpeg
    321BFC4A-0368-4B20-9DF8-91A186ACF22E.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 60

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Made these last fall. Bottom “cup” is adjustable. Can just use a different hole if need be, though I haven’t needed to.
Do you really want me to want me to take advantage of that phrase after some of those memes you have sent lately? :ROFLMAO:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Fish
Just never thought to use channel on them that is a great idea and bet works great.

Gives a flat area to mount the plastic holders like you used.

witler

Eight Pointer
For a flare at the top, I heat PVC with propane torch, then push a wine bottle inside until it cools. The deeper you push bottle into PVC the more flare you get.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I ended up using some rubber couplers on the end. Just 5200 to attach so it protects the rod and reel. I did not use the clamp.
Will get a few pictures.
Looked like these.

Attachments

• 1544722837887-49216427.jpg
    1544722837887-49216427.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 4