Just bought me a Remington Model 1858 sheriff

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Just got it thru FedEx today, cant wait to clean it up and shoot it.
I'm gonna use the 30g pellets instead of loose powder, I watched some You Tube video's about this gun.

1533170846129.png

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Sweet! You'll like it! You should at least try some real black powder through it. You just might like it!

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Update: Got my Revolver and was able to get some time to shoot it yesterday.
Interesting find: One of the cylinder would not fire. the cap was not even fired, upon further investigation, (after removing the ball and powder charge , of course) the nipple in this cylinder was shorter than the rest, causing the hammer not to strike the cap. go figure how does this happen when you spend $269 on a revolver, sucks
Check out this Pic.

Attachments

• 20180814_151230.jpg
    20180814_151230.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 11

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Its the 44, Balls. Shoots great, It will punch through 1.25" of wood with ease.
I need more practice though to get my shot groups in-line. I'm only shooting at 10yds, that should be good enough for now,
I might stretch it out to 15 of 20yds later, doesn't kick like i anticipated it would with a 30grain load (pellet).
I Shot at a <1/16" piece of metal and here are the pics, Does put a hell-of-a dent in it though.

Attachments

• 20180814_162956.jpg
    20180814_162956.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180814_162723.jpg
    20180814_162723.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180814_162800.jpg
    20180814_162800.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180814_163003.jpg
    20180814_163003.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 15

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
Are you using .451 RB or .454 RB? The .454 RB provides a little tighter fit. The Sheriff's Model loses a little sight radius and velocity due to the shorter barrel. "Its the nature of the beast".

The greater the distance between the rear sight and front sight , the easier it is to hit what you're aiming at, and the greater the velocity. Its probably OK out to 25 yards.

To take the discomfort out of the shooting hand, a number of shooters take the cylinder out of the frame and use a cylinder press. Traditions makes a neat one for about $30.00. They usually get a pistol stand to hold the revolver upright on the bench. When holding the revolver upright, loading manually, the butt of the gun presses down into the palm of the shooting hand. The cylinder press makes that problem go away.

Last edited:

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I did buy the cylinder press, at first i mainly bought it to load the spare cylinder. but I have used it to load both. pretty easy.
wow, learned something today. So i did 2 separate orders, i did not but the BP Gun w/ kit, since I already had much of the Kit stuff from my dad's other guns. 1- order with gun from Cabela's was with the .454 ball. the other is from Sportsman's warehouse. That to my ignorance is .433.. didn't realize there are three different sizes for the 44, .433, .451, & .454. I think I been using the box of .454. i get a nice shaved ring off them. I wont know till I get off work in the morning and check what box I been using. heck those .433 will b=probably just drop in the cylinder. damn

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Well, when I got home this morning after work, I tried out the .433 balls and the drop right in. That sucks. Im gonna see if I can return them for some ..454.

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
When i looked at Sportsman's warehouse, I cant return them either.. Oh well. maybe I can melt them down and cast my own, Mo Money, Mo Money. to get the casting tools.

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
When i looked at Sportsman's warehouse, I cant return them either.. Oh well. maybe I can melt them down and cast my own, Mo Money, Mo Money. to get the casting tools.
Actually, the .433 RB are for the LePage flintlock & cap lock single shot pistols and some of the early Numrich Arms s/s pistols and rifles from the 1960's - 70's.

Revolver sizes for the Italian-made revolvers are the .451 best suited for the brass frame revolvers and the .454 for the steel frame revolvers. The third size, .457 RB, is primarily for the Ruger Old Army revolvers. Keep the .433 RB. I might have a buyer for you that has a LePage pistol. Will be set up at the Greensboro Gun Show this weekend with a bunch of black powder firearms to find homes.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Enjoy your new 1858. I had a wonderful last week teaching my 10 yr old grandson loading, shooting and cleaning my 1851 Navy. On the .433 RB if you have a revolver chambered in .44 Russian/SPL/Mag or 44 WCF you can still use them for a short range plinker bullet.

CD