Just Applied for Permits on Jordan and Harris Gamelands

KEVLAR TV

Button Buck
First time turkey hunter here in NC. I have previous experience hinting Osceola's down in Florida.
I just applied of the public land permits to hunt Turkey on Jordan and I used Harris as a back up. I have few questions:

Anyone previously applied for permits and got them?

Does anyone have any experience hunting turkey on these game lands?

I'm worried its gonna be a bust since its public land, but I'm hoping for the best! any advice is much appreciated!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
getting in early, the deadline isnt until march. They are typically popular permits thus hard to draw. turkeys are around it just takes some scouting to find them. Pressure isnt to bad either. I filled a public land permit last season so I wouldnt let that carry much weight.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Don't let the fact that it's public land discourage you. I lived and hunted in Florida all my life and most of my turkey hunting in Florida was on non quota wma's. I've been up here in NC a little over 2 years now and although I have no experience on the gamelands you mentioned specifically I have hunted what some guys say is heavily pressured gamelands here and haven't had any bad experiences. What I like about public land is if you're willing to put in the work and stretch your legs a little bit you can find places and have them all to yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Brad is telling you right most horror stories of public are blew way out of proportion and just exaggerated tales with some exceptions of course. You just gotta use common sense when hunting public know that easy access and fields will get most attention

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
First time turkey hunter here in NC. I have previous experience hinting Osceola's down in Florida.
I just applied of the public land permits to hunt Turkey on Jordan and I used Harris as a back up. I have few questions:

Anyone previously applied for permits and got them?

Does anyone have any experience hunting turkey on these game lands?

I'm worried its gonna be a bust since its public land, but I'm hoping for the best! any advice is much appreciated!
since you are from Raleigh you may want to look at falls lake gamelands as well. I think it would be a better choice than harris.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've put in to hunt Jordan & Falls for 6 consecutive years and haven't been drawn yet. A couple buddies of mine have been drawn a couple of times each. Guess I'm not holding my mouth right?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've put in to hunt Jordan & Falls for 6 consecutive years and haven't been drawn yet. A couple buddies of mine have been drawn a couple of times each. Guess I'm not holding my mouth right?
Don't feel bad there is long line of people with worse luck than yours I've never drew falls tried over 10 times. Maybe this will be your year never know

Apply to Jordan every year and still haven't gotten drawn. My house backs up to gamelands and I can hear em gobbling in the morning come spring time, the ultimate tease.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Im about ready to go online and make my yearly contribution to the wrc for tags i'll never draw....
I gave up on jordan and falls years ago. My daughter is of age to bird hunt now, maybe she'll draw this year and I can live vicariously through her as I call birds to her gun !

Kane_b

Six Pointer
This is my first year doing that. Anybody have luck at these places? I always see them in the off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I've gotten an RDU draw once in the past 10 years, maybe 12 actually. And that was for Harris. I'd love to get a shot at Jordan or Falls.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
My first year I ever put in at Harris and Falls and got Falls. Need to scout hard...lots of good areas, holding birds. Look at a satellite map, find good ridge lines, creeks, hardwoods. Stay away from Eno and “easy parking and walking” areas would be my one bit of Advice. My buddy and I both filled rags. I hope I get drawn again.