Just a little project..

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Step daughter and her hubby has a gun cabinet no longer used and asked if I could do a little something to recreate life back into it. Asked a few questions and let my gears turn.
Pre-redesign:
Gun cabinet.jpg

With the glass broken, and them no longer wanting glass, I needed to come up with plan B. They live on a farm, so with my other ideas for internal changes, I'd have pretty much what I needed to re-design the door into an early style screen door. I used metal screen after adding a crossbar, then trimmed over the edges. Added an upper shelf for the babys medicines, drop to another added shelf for wine glasses, spaced and faced the upper barrel support for shot glasses. Then another shelf added for Moms medicine (wine bottles) and retained the lower for dads stash. All added wood stained with walnut stain to closely match original cabinet. Not a lot of work, and I most definitely am not a cabinet maker, but I thought it turned out pretty well. Their "now" medicine cabinet:Gun cabinet 2.jpgGun cabinet 3.jpg

Last edited:

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That looks really good. Interestingly, my FIL (he passed several years ago) has a nice gun cabinet and the folks who are buying the old homeplace just asked my wife if she wanted his gun cabinet out of the house. I told her I would not use it for guns; but maybe we could think of re-purposing it.
This is a great idea.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s a great idea, will have to show my wife this.

Thanks. Now I need to come up with a "door kick" to cover the outside of the lower portion that will look neat and keep the baby from pushing in the screen, as she will be walking soon. I have a couple of ideas, but not made a decision yet.. Just haven't found what I'm thinking of...

Windini

Spike
Now I need to come up with a "door kick" to cover the outside of the lower portion that will look neat and keep the baby from pushing in the screen
Could you fashion a removable screen, something like expanded metal in a wood frame? Maybe reinforce it with steel rod/tube uprights to keep it from flexing much. If mounted on the inside, the screen would (might) fade it out so it didn't stand out too much.

Expanded metal might be too sharp for little hands or faces, though... Anyway, just a thought.

The refurb/repurposing looks great!

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could you fashion a removable screen, something like expanded metal in a wood frame? Maybe reinforce it with steel rod/tube uprights to keep it from flexing much. If mounted on the inside, the screen would (might) fade it out so it didn't stand out too much.

Expanded metal might be too sharp for little hands or faces, though... Anyway, just a thought.

The refurb/repurposing looks great!

I am looking at a couple of options (in my mind), but am thinking about the aluminum sectional with the letter of their last name in the center. If I found a standard size, it would need to be reduced to fit and I'm not sure how it would look at that point. Plus, those are more decorative than functional against little hands. I'll come up with a compromise soon. Thanks for the suggestion.