Just a goose

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
It’s been a hell of a week. I have been working up in the mountains all week on 2 big projects for 12-14 hours a day. My dad came out to help but I hate having him work those long days with me. We got everything done Thursday morning and I decided we needed a pick me up so I called a buddy and put together an afternoon duck hunt for Friday.
My dog had just turned 3 and despite doing my best for checking on health clearances ect he has had a TPLO on both knees. He was just cleared a few weeks ago after getting his left knee done. We have only managed to get a limited number of hunts in since both surgeries were during season.
Friday afternoon I take my dad and my dog on their first hunt out here. We set up on the south platte under flocks of geese traveling the river. The spread was picturesque with a dozen mallards in a side channel, 2 dozen goose shells on a snow covered island with a few floaters flanking it.
As we sat a covey of quail were sounding off behind us.
The ducks and geese were numerous but being late season they would look and flutter but ultimately decided to keep going….except for a group of 3. They came up the river and one broke just within range. We knocked him down in the middle of the river still kicking. Not knowing what to expect from Maverick, his first river hunt and only second cripple goose I sent him out. He took a perfect angled line so the goose met him in the current. When he got close the goose made a break for it, not familiar with this he turned back. I gave him some encouragement with a “no, fetch” and that’s all it took. Goes back grabs its firmly and proudly takes it all the back to my dad as if he knew who should get it.
That was the only bird taken but that was all it took to make a perfect day. We picked up to the sounds of a pack of coyotes just across the river and a pretty sunset.

EFC03AAE-E16E-434E-95A5-480411912628.jpeg
917F4A1D-8900-4987-A80B-5872D660EC60.jpeg

Last edited: