Jury Duty

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I really don’t understand why everyone does everything they can to get out of jury duty. So many on here talk about how great this country is and doing their civic duty. But when it comes to doing something that is slightly inconvenient, y’all will do anything you can to get out of it.

The one time I was able to serve as a juror, I actually enjoyed the experience. If I am summoned again, I won’t try and get out of it.

I get it, it sucks to be out of work and lose money. And it can be boring. But, if you ever get put on trial, wouldn’t you want someone on the jury who had some sense??

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Served several years ago in a trial lasting 3 or 4 days.

Ended in conviction - Assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious bodily injury

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I get it, it sucks to be out of work and lose money.

That’s pretty much the the gist. It’s not like the olden days when serving on a jury was just as much a social gathering as a church revival. We are in no short supply of alternative entertainment.

If they made it appealing to serve on the jury then that’s another thing. I don’t foresee government increasing a fair compensation or reducing property tax for those that serve under a compulsory volunteer basis.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
I had never been summoned until 5 years ago. Now every 2 years I get a summons. First trip I was chosen and served on the jury for 4 days. The 2nd summons was canceled due to covid and I just had to go back last month and my name was the 5th one picked and I was put on a jury
Can you imagine the "suspect" if shaggy is one of the "peers"...... A Defense Attorney's wet dream no doubt

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
That’s pretty much the the gist. It’s not like the olden days when serving on a jury was just as much a social gathering as a church revival. We are in no short supply of alternative entertainment.

If they made it appealing to serve on the jury then that’s another thing. I don’t foresee government increasing a fair compensation or reducing property tax for those that serve under a compulsory volunteer basis.
You can’t have your cake and eat it, too.

Government waste is rampant. What do you propose? Pay people several hundred dollars a week to serve?

Or, maybe just realize that it’s part of living in a free country and you might have to suck it up and do something that you don’t want to do every now and then.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
You can’t have your cake and eat it, too.

Government waste is rampant. What do you propose? Pay people several hundred dollars a week to serve?

Or, maybe just realize that it’s part of living in a free country and you might have to suck it up and do something that you don’t want to do every now and then.

This has zero to do with ‘price’ of living in a free country. If a jurist can be reimbursed a paltry compensation for service then a politician can receive a paltry compensation for their service.

Before a rebuttal is made trying to distinguish the difference… the citizen is no less than the importance of a representative.

If you would read without emotion you would have seen I plainly stated the reimbursement options. A simple state tax deduction would suffice.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I get it, it sucks to be out of work and lose money. And it can be boring. But, if you ever get put on trial, wouldn’t you want someone on the jury who had some sense??
I thought your job had to pay you if you missed time for Jury Duty......my employer paid me.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
This has zero to do with ‘price’ of living in a free country. If a jurist can be reimbursed a paltry compensation for service then a politician can receive a paltry compensation for their service.

Before a rebuttal is made trying to distinguish the difference… the citizen is no less than the importance of a representative.

If you would read without emotion you would have seen I plainly stated the reimbursement options. A simple state tax deduction would suffice.
Ehhhh I think @timekiller13 is more spot on than you want to believe. You may be a little jaded being that your job involves keeping other creatures alive, against the elements, but contrary to what people like to believe, they’re NOT that important at their job to where they can’t miss a few days for jury duty ( with some exceptions).

If a couple of missed days hurts their pocket that bad, they should probably should’ve used the time between receiving the summons and duty date for something more important than trying to figure out how to get out of jury duty….. and take some time to reflect on life and changes going forward.

Ehhhh I think @timekiller13 is more spot on than you want to believe. You may be a little jaded being that your job involves keeping other creatures alive, against the elements, but contrary to what people like to believe, they’re NOT that important at their job to where they can’t miss a few days for jury duty ( with some exceptions).

If a couple of missed days hurts their pocket that bad, they should probably should’ve used the time between receiving the summons and duty date for something more important than trying to figure out how to get out of jury duty….. and take some time to reflect on life and changes going forward.
Nah! Its my time not yours! Who are you to decide what I have to do with my time? I see what these judges make and what these lawyers get paid by the state with tax payers cash. Make it worth my time and I might be more willing to serve. But why should I have to take time away from my life for some DB that got in trouble with the law that I am losing money on the deal. Like I said before you don't want me on a jury anyways. I will already be pissed off you are wasting my friggen time "Get a rope".

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Nah! Its my time not yours! Who are you to decide what I have to do with my time? I see what these judges make and what these lawyers get paid by the state with tax payers cash. Make it worth my time and I might be more willing to serve. But why should I have to take time away from my life for some DB that got in trouble with the law that I am losing money on the deal. Like I said before you don't want me on a jury anyways. I will already be pissed off you are wasting my friggen time "Get a rope".
Replies like this make me VERY thankful a moron like you will never be on a jury.

Please keep doing everything you can to NOT serve.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
54 and I've never been summoned for jury duty. I'm a Jr. and my dad got called all the time even after I was an adult. I can't help but wonder if him being called up and serving on a few trials has helped me avoid it all this time.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns

You missed the whole point about equal. It has nothing to do with who has an occupation that is more important than someone else or the wages they are paid. No matter what station a person has in this country, we all have the same dignity and no one person is more disposable than the other.

This is the fundamental aspect of how governance in a republic is suppose to work. The elected representative is the extension of the citizen that votes or better known as The People. Therefore the elected representative is not suppose to hold greater power than those that voted for them. The power was suppose to remain with The People but our government has departed from this and grown exponentially from the limits it was suppose to have.

Serving as an elected representative was intended to be a volunteer job with reasonable per diem, not a career. It turned into positions that were exploited for profit. If a politician is allowed to milk the system, the juror should not be ridiculed for wanting to receive a little bit of the pie for their time.

Last edited:
Freedom isn’t free.

If you can’t understand the importance of a trial by jury then I don’t want you on a jury.
And I don’t want to be on a jury! WIN WIN. And I’m not a big fan of forcing people to do things. Kinda like the Jab! Why don’t they take volunteers? I’m sure folks like you that like it can do it. My arse will be in the woods looking for meat!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
And I don’t want to be on a jury! WIN WIN. And I’m not a big fan of forcing people to do things. Kinda like the Jab! Why don’t they take volunteers? I’m sure folks like you that like it can do it. My arse will be in the woods looking for meat!
Again, I stand by my original statement.

Thank God you will never be on a jury.

Jury duty won’t keep me from killing some deer. I’ll be a part of a giving someone a fair trial AND I will still put meat in the freezer.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I was on the grand jury not too long ago. Definitely a learning experience.
The entire court system is a "learning experience". Everyone needs to see at least one indictment to it's ultimate conclusion. A lot of times when people make a complaint, they don't realize how much time they will need to take off work for the next few years.
Endless delays with endless continuances, and most charges being dropped, all with court-payed attorneys. Eeer-body's got a cup, but they ain't chipped in.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with the idea of doing your duty, but the sheer number of people who have been called and not served shows that the system is wasting 5-10 citizens’ time for every one they put on a jury.

The one time I’ve been called, I made significant changes to my schedule and put other people out, only to show up for an hour and them tell me they didn’t need me. Turns out it was plead out or something, and the hundred people they had called for this murder trial all wasted their time.

If you want people to take the process seriously, then be serious about it. And let the sentencing be serious.

hot_rod_eddie

Six Pointer
Called once in NC, but dismissed before trial.
Called while in Houston on a murder rap.
Prosecutor asks if we are okay to send someone to jail 5-30 years.
Most people said 30 years was too long or not enough.
I said 5 years may be too much.
For instance - yeah he killed the guy, but maybe the guy needed killing???
I didn't get picked.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
My problem with it is I work 3rd shift.
My employer says I gotta be at work because court isn't at night. I gotta sleep sometime.
If the law was that hourly employees were let off work for jury duty, and it was paid by our employer, no problem.
Still not my favorite thing to do. I've been called 3 times. Sat around for 2 days once, dismissed for cause by defence once, and had a broken back and was excused the 3rd time.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
walking in for jury assembly now. hopefully dont get chosen...

what should i say for an instant dismissal?