Jury Duty

timber

Twelve Pointer
Don’t mind serving but just got notice in mail today to report tomorrow at 9 am Thought that kind of short notice. Especially since a 1 1/2 hour drive one way to Elizabeth city. Then called about hour ago and all cases ended settled so no court this week

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
Sounds about right. Years ago and after I had been out of LE for awhile I got
a call at work by a civil deputy (Capt.) who said the SD had been looking for me.
He asked where I lived, and phone number, same since 1979.
He then asked if I knew I was to be in "super" court the next morning? I said no.

Then he said consider myself served and I had to be there by nine o'clock,
said they had been trying to locate me for two weeks. I had known this officer for many years,
and told him they had my address/phone number.
They also had a former detective who handled the case brought in from the coast,
all to testify in a case that had been decided on behind closed doors.
Seems the more things change the more they remain the same.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I've been called numerous times but never served. Most of the time I'd call on Fri. and get the recording that I wasn't needed. Once I made it to the selection process but was dismissed by the defense immediately when they heard I worked for the DOC. One other time I got the letter and forgot about it until I got to work that Monday morning. I called the Clerk and played the old man card but she told me I must be living right because they didn't need me after all. Phew, that was the last time so far anyway.

double

Twelve Pointer
Been called once and ended up being the head juror on a week long murder trial that happened 4 miles from my house. I live in a rural county I knew the dead guy the guy on trial and all the deputies. Somehow I still got seated on the jury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I was selected about 2 years after I moved to NC. and served on a out of state DWI with property damage.
Guilty ...

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Been called once and ended up being the head juror on a week long murder trial that happened 4 miles from my house. I live in a rural county I knew the dead guy the guy on trial and all the deputies. Somehow I still got seated on the jury.

Last time i got called to serve I was seated as head juror on an attempted murder trial, despite the fact that I was well acquainted with the defendants attorney! He was my former neighbor for 10 years, went to high school with both his kids and I had vacationed with his family and they still kept me! Prosecutor said he didn't see any conflict and let me stay. He was probably rethinking that after we found the guy "not guilty."

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor

I expect that in most of NC until recent years, this was pretty typical. People lived in counties that were only a few thousand people, and many of them were related, or attended the same church, and there was maybe only a couple of high schools in the whole county.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've been in the voter, property, school, and vehicle databases in my county for 35 years, and never received a call. I don't know what gets people selected. Somewhere there is a programmer that could tell you what makes the computer spit out your name and what gets you ignored. Would be interesting to know.

double

Twelve Pointer
Last time i got called to serve I was seated as head juror on an attempted murder trial, despite the fact that I was well acquainted with the defendants attorney! He was my former neighbor for 10 years, went to high school with both his kids and I had vacationed with his family and they still kept me! Prosecutor said he didn't see any conflict and let me stay. He was probably rethinking that after we found the guy "not guilty."

Same here. Guy was found not guilty of all charges. The burden of proof to convict is incredibly high as it should be.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Last time i was called the guys att asked if i new anybody involved in the case i said yes use to work with the deputy at the DOC. Took about 2 mins and i was rejectef