JuJubes in stock in Western NC

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you had any trouble with cedar rust on any of yours yet ? I know they are still young, but that's a problem in my area, and in doing research on these it seems to be pretty common.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I have not,,, my tigertooths have been in the ground over a year now but I do not think that there is a cedar or juniper of any kind within a half mile or more of my land

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
All my persimmons however seem to be rather ill,,, from what I can find it looks like persimmon wilt,, thats a real kick in the groin considering how many I have going and how well they were looking before last summer

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have not,,, my tigertooths have been in the ground over a year now but I do not think that there is a cedar or juniper of any kind within a half mile or more of my land

I've got white and red cedar as well as juniper all around me, I'd love to try those but I'm scared that I'll get disease about the time the tree tries to start producing. I have to maintain a strict spray schedule to keep cedar rust from taking over my apple trees and even then it tries every year.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Well I hope mine do well,,, they are supposed to be tougher than apples or other fruit trees,, They are all prone to root sprouts, so in a few years I can start grafting more.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well I hope mine do well,,, they are supposed to be tougher than apples or other fruit trees,, They are all prone to root sprouts, so in a few years I can start grafting more.

I've done all kinds of looking, but have never pulled the trigger on them. Maybe one year I can buy the PPosey tigertooth specials, which have been proven to grow in NC :D..actually when I get to WNC I plan to start an orchard down there and will surely consider that species.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Update on the tigertooth JuJubes,, They are now 8 feet tall and one bore 3 fruits this year, both are very healthy and we had a killer drought this summer and I did not water,,,, I also planted some HoneyJar JuJubes last winter as 3 foot whips from a local nursery and they produced fruit this summer even with very little rain, Their fruit was sweeter than the tigertooth. They also added a foot of height and several small limbs, they are a grafted tree but one has send up a shoot, I will graft to it this winter after digging it up and replanting if I think the shoot has enough roots.

www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jujube.html

Image of the Honey Jar.. You can see the whip that was planted it is darker grey, all the limbs and green are new this summer after being planted in Feb. I watered them twice with 3 gallons each right when they started showing buds on the whip. I want plants that are tough and can make it on their own, so far these are looking good

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar_IuXxTHvGGgnD489hw1L9uGoR1

The Sugercan Jujubes are healthy looking but have not grown as much as the Honey Jar and did not bloom this year

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just had a Colorado blue spruce die from the drought, it was the only non-fruitbearing tree on the terrace in my backyard. This would be a good time to try this species to see how hardy it turns out to be.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just gave the nursery a call, and they still have a few in stock. Hopefully they have some on my next trip out to western NC, they said they even fruited this year.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Update, all the Jujubes are still alive all growing the tiger tooth are 10 ft tall trees now , big around as my wrist at the base and they have started to send up shoots at the roots anywhere from 2 to 6 feet away from the parent tree. I'm going to start digging up those shoots this winter and replanting I may end up with a whole bunch of tiger tooth. they've been producing a few Jujubes every year I'm hoping as the trees get bigger they'll start to produce more no insects have bothered thim drought has not bothered thim or heavy rains they seem to be pretty tough. Deer did eat two of them down to the main stem. I had to wire them in but they came back okay

lbksmom

Banned
I planted one 2yrs. ago has not fruit yet from frost this year, but have about 8 different sprouts growing now about 2 ft. tall already. I will have to transplant them babies in Nov./Dec. Good luck to ya.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
If your tree is a grafted tree your sprouts will be a wild sour jujube type not the same quality of tree as your grafted tree is, now if your tree is a tiger tooth Sprouts Off The Roots will be exactly like the tiger tooth

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Some good jujube info here