Jordan Lake... Mussel or Clam... hrm..?

jcampbell2502

Button Buck
My daughter found this in party cove today.. huge.. not sure if its a mussel or a fresh water clam.. but either way its still a niceun!!
7d92ba7297e78f23ff076c4b1647470d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Why is that? Good place to fish or something?
mussel beds aka hard bottoms would be gold in jordan at that depth. short of vegetation and man made brush it is clean for the most part. every fish would use it but i would be most interested in the bass.

not that jordan bass need help. it is other worldly what is being caught as we speak but one of those beds would be awesome.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
A lot of those big mussels like that are actually found in riverine type environments and survive impoundment and basically just “survive”. If that’s the case with this one, it was most likely that size when Jordan was impounded and has just stayed alive the rest of the time. Mussels are of utmost importance to aquatic habitats because most are keystone species. Meaning if water quality starts to decrease, mussels are the first to show the effects of poor water quality. Which has also led to many species being of utmost concern with a lot of’em being on the threatened and endangered list.
With that said, I have no clue what it is. Haha. Being proficient at id’ing mussels is a skill set very few have.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Those Mussels actually thrive in Jordan. Many many die if the late summer and fall when Jordan Gets 3' plus down and then the ACOE lets some more water out and the Mussels cant get do deeper water fast enough. If you look closely you can see the V's where they are trying to move but since they are not the brightest creatures some go the wrong way. I have have seen this happen many many times at Jordan and I have saved thousands over the years by throwing them to deeper water.
This was one of those trips last year where I ran into some in this situation.