Joined another club

timber

Twelve Pointer
Like in many things in life, we can be our worst enemy. In this case dog hunters, some understand and others never will. I still have hope though. Before anyone, jumps on the dog hunters due to what I have said here, this behavior is in all hunting. Heck, it is all aspects of life. All I can do is be responsible, hold others accountable and live as an example.

You see any bobcats down there

timber

Twelve Pointer
Use to enjoy cat hunting more than deer hunting. We took the dogs ran Fox with them in the summer in cotton and bean fields. Then used them in the winter on bobcats. Hard to beat the sound of 40 or 50 dogs behind a bobcat

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bet it was very short lived, especially with fox hounds. Bobcats aren't notorious for having much air, they aren't distance runners. I can't fathom them staying in front of a pack of walkers anytime at all.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Most of the sow cats or younger ones run simular to a cotton tail. They may make couple big circles looking for thickest jungle they can find but as u put heat on them the circle gets small. Then either they got caught on the ground or went up a tree. Some of the big toms would take off at times i guess trying get back where he lived then he would usually start the circling and cutting. We always hunted them in daytime they didnt seem as quick to go up a tree as some i have treed with a coon dog at night.

Reactions: RJ1

timber

Twelve Pointer
If they are in a ditch or have there back against a tree lap they can put up good fight for a few mins. But with all the hounds didnt usully last long

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Hunting other places and running the walkers on deer at night in the off season, I had one hound that seemed to like bobcats. She treed her share that's for sure. She was half treeing walker and fox hound (walker). Her and another hound treed something one night, that came back down out of the tree. It was super thick between me and the branch they treed on. There were some large trees on the branch that was about 500 yards away. Well, while I was trying to figure out how I was going to get to them, they broke off the tree. Within just a few minutes, the dogs come flying up to the truck, scared so bad they jump on the tail gate and slammed into the gate trying to get in the box. Maybe, I'm glad I didn't get to that tree. LOL Maybe it was that huge cat I saw, deer hunting later on that same farm. That cat was the largest I have ever seen, at first I thought it was a small deer, of about 60 lbs, trying to slip trough the brush. The head of that thing was at least 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Yes, it was huge, nearly twice the size of any cat I have ever seen. I bet he could have held his own for a while. Be like the time one of the guys beagles bayed on in the thick stuff. A couple dove in and after that none of the others would and they wouldn't again. Do know if I could blame them. :D

timber

Twelve Pointer
Probably worse injury i had a dog get was a gyp that got ear ripped in half. Was there watching that fight but only thing had in my hand was radio so the dogs were on there on. It was a big tom and had his back protected by big stump so only choice dogs had on him was go thru claws and teeth first. The one that got cut was a small frame walker but she didnt back down from much. Biggest problem had with her she like the catch better than running track she did lot of cutting and swinging. Which is fine when you get right up on the game but at some point you have to run it before you catch it

Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Probably worse injury i had a dog get was a gyp that got ear ripped in half. Was there watching that fight but only thing had in my hand was radio so the dogs were on there on. It was a big tom and had his back protected by big stump so only choice dogs had on him was go thru claws and teeth first. The one that got cut was a small frame walker but she didnt back down from much. Biggest problem had with her she like the catch better than running track she did lot of cutting and swinging. Which is fine when you get right up on the game but at some point you have to run it before you catch it
I use to run in the pen a lot. The guys would talk junk about a cutting and swinging dog. I would just tell them if you want to catch on the outside you need to have a hound that knows how to cut and swing. Need all kinds in a pack to make it work.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Hunting other places and running the walkers on deer at night in the off season, I had one hound that seemed to like bobcats. She treed her share that's for sure. She was half treeing walker and fox hound (walker). Her and another hound treed something one night, that came back down out of the tree. It was super thick between me and the branch they treed on. There were some large trees on the branch that was about 500 yards away. Well, while I was trying to figure out how I was going to get to them, they broke off the tree. Within just a few minutes, the dogs come flying up to the truck, scared so bad they jump on the tail gate and slammed into the gate trying to get in the box. Maybe, I'm glad I didn't get to that tree. LOL Maybe it was that huge cat I saw, deer hunting later on that same farm. That cat was the largest I have ever seen, at first I thought it was a small deer, of about 60 lbs, trying to slip trough the brush. The head of that thing was at least 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Yes, it was huge, nearly twice the size of any cat I have ever seen. I bet he could have held his own for a while. Be like the time one of the guys beagles bayed on in the thick stuff. A couple dove in and after that none of the others would and they wouldn't again. Do know if I could blame them. :D

I know the feeling. I have seen a bunch of cats while hunting. But I saw 1 that was like no other. I was "looking" one of my dogs in the Green Swamp. I drove through an intersection and glanced down the road to my left and noticed something in the road about 400-500 yards. I backed up and glassed it with my binoculars. Still not sure what it was, I knew it was an animal, I got my rifle out to look. It was a big bobcat just sitting in the road. I could not believe how big it was. But what really got me was when he, I am assuming it was a big tom, walked out of the road. His movement and gait reminded me of watching the big cats on tv. Now I am not saying he was as big as a leopard, lion or tiger. It was just his body movement was more like them than say a house cat or any bobcat I had ever seen. I looked for that thing many a time after that and he never made another appearance. Needless to say he did not get that big by making many mistakes and never the same one twice.

And before anyone can ask, he caught me so off guard and I was so in awe of his size taking a shot never crossed my mind.

Reactions: DRS