Johns River Game Lands

gobblerstopper

Six Pointer
My hunt is Thursday-Saturday this week. Lower Creek Unit. Was wondering if anybody had any advise or have hunted it recently. I've been doing my google earth scouting so I have a fair idea of where to park and some spots to check. Gonna walk and try to find some tracks/sign and just sit down. Should be good weather.

Also, how many hunters will be in there? Feel free to pm.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Hope you have better luck than my buddies 2 if them hunted last week all 3 days had people walk in on them besides jumping 1 doe didn't see anything else. On sat had people walking in that wasn't hunting. Your right about weather though looks to bee good wknd.

gobblerstopper

Six Pointer
Well thats just the thing about scouting the area. Not sure when your supposed to scout it because I didn't want to mess people hunting up on a Saturday? On Sunday I guess would of been the day.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That's what I usually do when I draw permit to a place is scout on Sundays or Mon thru wed. Hopefully you can get on some deer sign quick been little bit weird year not much rubs. There wasn't lot nuts which stinks because there is so much pine thicket not ton oaks there

Twitmore

Four Pointer
i will be hunting those same days, i had a muzzleloader there in october as well. I didnt see anything then and only heard a couple of shots. i have always gone in on marsh trail road, i dont usually see too many people and i always make sure to get in well befor sunrise. in years past i have seen a lot of deer and taken a few out but last year and this october has been empty.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Well thats just the thing about scouting the area. Not sure when your supposed to scout it because I didn't want to mess people hunting up on a Saturday? On Sunday I guess would of been the day.
You are not allowed to scout during other hunts if you don't also hold a permit for those dates too. No acorns left in there and only a few of the food plots were worked. If you haven't laid down boot leather to scout that yet you are way late to the party for that place......just trying to be honest....

gobblerstopper

Six Pointer
You are right ol copper... I’m late to the party for sure. Just ran out of time. Still gonna give it a go, at least I’ll learn a lil if I draw it again next year.

Houstonj

Button Buck
Been a few years since ive been up there. But when i was coon hunting it always deer sign down against the river on the 18 side. But if remember correctly their is a powerline or gas line that runs in their if im wrong someone can correct me. But the deer should move for you. Always see bucks this week in burke county normally head down moving pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Twitmore

Four Pointer
Has anyone hunted the new tract of land. Corpening bridge section.
i hunted it in october, it was very thick. i did see a doe but got a little too excited and missed her by a wide margin. i was not a fan of the terrain but maybe it looks better with most of the leaves gone.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Has anyone hunted the new tract of land. Corpening bridge section.
I hunted it during muzzleloader. It was stupid hot. The sign I found was tremendous, but 95 degree weather in October really hampers deer movement. Still spotted a few, nothing I wanted to kill. I really liked the terrain. There are some great, difficult to access spots that I am going to try to get back into during the late archery that I have permits for.

Twitmore

Four Pointer
I ended up getting lucky this morning and damn was it cold[emoji3063][emoji3063]
a6b818be0e5bfc0f7fff0c902aeea9db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk