Jogger chokes out a Mountain Lion

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I heard this this morning on animal thunderdome segment of the Clay Travis sports show.
he also covered the smoky mountain "meth" bear. It was eating a man who had ODed on meth. :eek:

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I heard this this morning on animal thunderdome segment of the Clat Travis sports show.
he also covered the smoky mountain "meth" bear. It was eating a man who had ODed on meth. :eek:
I wonder if the bear copped a contact high? We could check later if he ends up missing some teeth with some sunken cheek bones.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder if the bear copped a contact high? We could check later if he ends up missing some teeth with some sunken cheek bones.
that was the angle that the radio host played. It was unfortunately humorous to me his descrption of a" meth bear" tearing loose, the most dangerous bear in history , high on meth.
He said it was much more entertaining to speculate like he was versus looking at the facts which probably would preclude a meth bear.:) despite the grim tale I was laughing.

I wonder if the guy was smoking some "catnip" in his car before going for his jog. This was in CO. I'm just saying that the mountain lion might have seen a giant catnip toy run by and couldn't control himself, lol.

Philjam

Spike
Bobcats and domestic cats quickly succumb to a choke pole. I had to rescue a house cat from under a shed. Got the pole around its neck and drug it out the distance of the runner - about 5 ft. It was out cold and it's tongue was blue. It did recover and I got paid. Would imagine that guy got his hands around to compress the side of the cougars neck. Would love to hear the details - was the guy a trapper, a wildlife biologist, just lucky, WHAT?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Bobcats and domestic cats quickly succumb to a choke pole. I had to rescue a house cat from under a shed. Got the pole around its neck and drug it out the distance of the runner - about 5 ft. It was out cold and it's tongue was blue. It did recover and I got paid. Would imagine that guy got his hands around to compress the side of the cougars neck. Would love to hear the details - was the guy a trapper, a wildlife biologist, just lucky, WHAT?

Likely, the guy just feared for his life and did what he had to do. Adrenalin can be a game changer. Wonder how that would work with an adult mountain loin? No, I don't want to find out? Good thing the guy turned around when he did.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'd have to take my chances choking one I sure can't run no more unless the cat laughed at my attempt I would be dinner

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If he stunned it with a blow to the head with a rock, it makes it a little easier to understand how he could have choked it out without getting disemboweled or otherwise ripped to shreds by the front and back feet of the lion. And the fact that cats lose consciousness quickly when choked helped him survive as well.

I have had bobcats close to 30 lbs on the end of a 4 foot catch pole and when they start feeling the pressure when I cinch it tight, they go absolutely berserk. I have to have a good grip on the pole or they will jerk it out of my hand. And I definitely do not want to be in range of those feet during that time.

But in a life or death situation, folks have been known to do seemingly impossible things. Whatever he did, he did good because he is still here.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Haven't read a thing about this, but I do believe our own .25 contender ???? described how mountain lions hunt from BEHIND, and rarely spring upon a non stealthed quarry, to be attacked possibly from behind, and to throw a rock and stun, and then to choke it out, without the Mt lion using his/her many claws to break free, is a one in a MILLION chance! If I jogged, walked, visited mt lion country, I would wear a rear mask.

No way i want to go head to head vs a feline predator!!! Props to him! I'd rather be lucky than good any day! (as said by someone else much smarter than me a LONG time ago!).