Japanese Millett

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We are going to plant some plots for dove hunting this year(if it ever dries up). We have some sunflowers and a bag of Japanese millet......anybody planted this millett? Does it do pretty good or is there a better variety to plant? Just looking input before we go spend a lot of time on this.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Never planted jap for doves, only ducks. I can vouch for brown top millet tho, doves absolutely love it. Foxtail millet too. Surely someone can give you better insight on jap for doves. I know you can't go wrong with brown top

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea....got some duck holes that are getting planted too........was hoping to use the same millet for both.....and probably will at this point.....

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
We are going to plant some plots for dove hunting this year(if it ever dries up). We have some sunflowers and a bag of Japanese millet......anybody planted this millett? Does it do pretty good or is there a better variety to plant? Just looking input before we go spend a lot of time on this.

Generally it will do ok for doves. Probably 80-90 days until it is mature. It will tolerate wet soils and conditions well. For doves, you don't want it too thickly seeded unless you plan to mow or burn it. The doves need room to forage on the ground. Can even be partly submerged which is what makes it good for ducks.

I usually use browntop millet mixed with sunflowers for doves. Shorter time until maturity which helps to make sure it is dropping seeds by dove season. Proso millet can also be good. Mautrity takes a little longer than browntop and can do well with low amounts of water.

Most millets can be pretty good for doves. Just need to get them planted so that they will produce seed in time and have bare ground that helps the doves get to it. I tend to be late getting dove fields planted so I like the varieties with shorter maturity time frames. Good luck with your fields!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the input hunter........I may pick up some brown top just to ensure the seed dropping!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Second Grim Reaper’s experience. We plant brown top for doves with great success. The nice thing about it is you can bush hog it just before the season opener and have great hunts throughout the whole year. Might have to come back and lightly disk or harrow in the winter to expose seed but some seed will still there.

The problem with Jap for doves is two fold. First off, everything loves jap when it heads out ...including blackbirds. As you know, they can litterally wipe out a stand in no time, nothing you can do will keep them from destroying it. Secondly, even if they don’t hit it you’ll run into a quick germination problem once it hits the ground and becomes wet. Not all of it of course but a good majority of it. Kind of like wheat..great hunting when the seed is broadcast but doves quit using it after it starts coming up real well.

Another alternative to Jap is barnyard grass seed (wild millet, water grass). More expensive than both jap and brown top but has great volunteer success the following years and blackbirds won’t bother it. Great duck food too as that’s its primary use. 32626878-4153-447A-B27C-E67549254D1E.jpeg

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Second Grim Reaper’s experience. We plant brown top for doves with great success. The nice thing about it is you can bush hog it just before the season opener and have great hunts throughout the whole year. Might have to come back and lightly disk or harrow in the winter to expose seed but some seed will still there.

The problem with Jap for doves is two fold. First off, everything loves jap when it heads out ...including blackbirds. As you know, they can litterally wipe out a stand in no time, nothing you can do will keep them from destroying it. Secondly, even if they don’t hit it you’ll run into a quick germination problem once it hits the ground and becomes wet. Not all of it of course but a good majority of it. Kind of like wheat..great hunting when the seed is broadcast but doves quit using it after it starts coming up real well.

Another alternative to Jap is barnyard grass seed (wild millet, water grass). More expensive than both jap and brown top but has great volunteer success the following years and blackbirds won’t bother it. Great duck food too as that’s its primary use. View attachment 17668
I like that blind. Is it commercial, or did you make it? If commercial, where would I find it? Thanks...

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Well .... it’s a reproduction of one I use to have. Several of my hunting partners and myself bought them many years ago (I think from Herters). I misplaced mine so I had 6 made since the company that made them was out of business. Very expensive but well worth it. I kept 2 and my buddies bought the others.

Best folding portable blind I’ve ever had. This one has shadow grass mesh camo, my other has corn field pattern. 9AE047E5-58C6-4107-9E8A-B95073A02C3F.jpeg