Japanese Millet or Brown Top or a mix.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have close to 20 acres of duck/ dove planting in the near future. Any recommendations my thoughts was to mix for early and late crop production. I do not control the water level but my daughter almost drown 2 years ago in the same location. It appears Jap millet is water tolerate. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Tommy, use brown top for doves and the jap for your ducks. Brown top needs to keep its feet dry while Jap will actually grow in standing water so long as the water doesn’t cover the leaves.

The great thing about brown top is it’s fast and easy to grow and seed will stay on the ground a long time once you mow it. You can also come back later in season with a landscape/York rake or disk and turn over the duff which will expose more seed for the birds. Doves love brown top!

Jap millet grow quickly too but you don’t want to plant too early. I prefer first of September cause it will be ready 6-8 weeks later which means less chance of seed head regermination while still on the stalk when it droops down and hits the water. It also means you’ll still have visible seed heads around when most seasons open. Japs easy to plant, just throw and go on any moist area, especially mud flats.

Good luck!

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Tommy, use brown top for doves and the jap for your ducks. Brown top needs to keep its feet dry while Jap will actually grow in standing water so long as the water doesn’t cover the leaves.

The great thing about brown top is it’s fast and easy to grow and seed will stay on the ground a long time once you mow it. You can also come back later in season with a landscape/York rake or disk and turn over the duff which will expose more seed for the birds. Doves love brown top!

Jap millet grow quickly too but you don’t want to plant too early. I prefer first of September cause it will be ready 6-8 weeks later which means less chance of seed head regermination while still on the stalk when it droops down and hits the water. It also means you’ll still have visible seed heads around when most seasons open. Japs easy to plant, just throw and go on any moist area, especially mud flats.

Good luck!
Thank you for the input I'll plan to plant first week of Sept. then pray for rain if it doesn't flood it will be an epic late season dove hunt. Thanks again

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Used a mixture of Brown top and Japanese to plant 3 different holes. Will see if we are dove or duck hunting come December.

Attachments

• 20220901_083103.jpg
    20220901_083103.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220901_083059.jpg
    20220901_083059.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220901_083059.jpg
    20220901_083059.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220901_083046.jpg
    20220901_083046.jpg