Its that time of year again..... Fall foodplots

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Got ours done in Milton today. Pure Attraction , chicory clover mix , and a couple of oat and reddish plots.

To dang hot to get pics !

I'll try and some in a couple of weeks !

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I stopped in at Southern States today and asked about winter wheat and rye. They aren't even getting any in for at least two weeks so if you can find it locally you may want to get it.
I'm planting on Labor Day weekend in Ohio, just wheat , rye and oats. White clover pretty well burnt up so I'll just top seed the grains.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I stopped in at Southern States today and asked about winter wheat and rye. They aren't even getting any in for at least two weeks so if you can find it locally you may want to get it.
I'm planting on Labor Day weekend in Ohio, just wheat , rye and oats. White clover pretty well burnt up so I'll just top seed the grains.
Same for me, been asking for three weeks ,they always say in the next week or two. If anybody finds some please post the location, or better yet PM me.

Reactions: jug

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Looks good Jug.

I will probably do a small kill plot of some type again. Last year I had good success with Tractor Supply Forage Feast.

Reactions: jug

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Got some oats and clover in some of our small plots in cutover. Ones we did last year did great!

This was from this spring. Need some rain on em bad right now. It’s been dry in Caswell and this last rain missed them

Attachments

• 105D7192-0DB8-4901-A9CC-762D5EDDDA9D.jpeg
    105D7192-0DB8-4901-A9CC-762D5EDDDA9D.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 20
  • F8FCF244-CB81-43AB-A1E6-50A3EC590907.jpeg
    F8FCF244-CB81-43AB-A1E6-50A3EC590907.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 20

30/06

Twelve Pointer

I’ve had the same issue with Southern States, they rarely have wheat, oats or cereal rye. The one in Creedmoor is more of a lawn and garden store.

That clover you have will probably perk up if you get rain. If it was established already it’s pretty drought tolerant but adding some grains will add some attracting power quicker. Clover is tough to hunt on to some extent, it’s does best in times when you can’t hunt! Helps the deer but not always the best way to kill a deer.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Tried something different this year for me. Did not work the ground at all. Just sprayed 41 percent gly heavy on an old rye plot 8-15. Planted about 1 acre of wheat ( 100 LB ) from southern states king on 8-31 with some ladino and crimson clover mixed in about half of the acre. Just put seed and fertilizer in spreader and top seeded . Went back and bush hogged the old rye straw on top of everything. Got about 1 inch of rain the next day and a couple of small showers since then. Wheat jumped right up ,maybe too good, got it a little thick in a couple spots. I figured the crows and turkeys would eat some and they did but not as much as I had figured. Have not seen any clover up yet. But like Buckshooter said a rain dance would not hurt . This was in Wilkes co.

Last edited:

2nd Calling

Six Pointer
Tried something different this year for me. Did not work the ground at all. Just sprayed 41 percent gly heavy on an old rye plot 8-15. Planted about 1 acre of wheat ( 100 LB ) from southern states king on 8-31 with some ladino and crimson clover mixed in about half of the acre. Just put seed and fertilizer in spreader and top seeded . Went back and bush hogged the old rye straw on top of everything. Got about 1 inch of rain the next day and a couple of small showers since then. Wheat jumped right up ,maybe too good, got it a little thick in a couple spots. I figured the crows and turkeys would eat some and they did but not as much as I had figured. Have not seen any clover up yet. But like Buckshooter said a rain dance would not hurt . This was in Wilkes co.
That's the process I use to get my plots going as well, works pretty good...can't afford a tractor, so that's what I do to get by.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Threw out some seed yesterday afternoon in a little kill plot between a cutover and a swamp.
It grew well last year so hoping for the same this year.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tried plain ol killing a section of weeds in a couple of spots, liming, fertilizer, top sowing a crazy amount of grains. It's the most dense plot I've planted, hopefully that keeps the weeds at bay.
I'll kill it late spring and repeat next fall hopefully. It's by far the easiest way to get a plot started, it should get better every year once the seed bed has been depleted.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
If anyone is willing , I'll host a Caswell county , NCH&F rain dance event.

Your not lying, it’s as dry as a popcorn fart out out there. Clover even in river bottom is burnt and oats planted two weeks ago have done nothing. Think turkeys have gobbled most of that seed up.

Hopefully Wednesday! Fingers crossed

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I've got a bag of pure attraction I had left over. I'm thinking really hard about throwing it out right before it's supposed to rain this week.