Its that time of year again..... Fall foodplots

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Field.jpg
This is a field(powerline on a hilltop) that I simply sprayed with QuickPro and fertilized and seeded with winter rye and winter wheat the next day using a bag spreader. That was Labor Day weekend and other than the stand of corn I've got going on due to the deer not eating it AT ALL...the field itself looks great.
I used one bag of triple 12, 200 pounds of pelletized lime, 50 pounds of rye and 50 pounds of wheat and did it all in the rain so I knew I'd get some germination. We have been blessed with rain up in southern Ohio since I slung the seeds and the deer should be doing their part in a month or two helping to mow this down.

Last edited:

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Sprayed gly on a 1.5 acre plot of cowpeas today. Dang things were three feet high. Deer stopped messing with them. Going to plant wheat there in a couple of weeks.

Wow , I can't get cow peas to last for mire tgan a few weeks. The deer in Milton just won't let them establish now. At first I had them like you just posted 3 ft high. Deer in tgem constantly.

I'd have just rolled them over without spraying , they are great compost.

Good luck with the winter wheat.

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Wow , I can't get cow peas to last for mire tgan a few weeks. The deer in Milton just won't let them establish now. At first I had them like you just posted 3 ft high. Deer in tgem constantly.

Yeah. First time I have had this happen too. I guess it helps that I have 8 acres of soybeans a couple hundred yards away. This is the first time my cowpeas have made mature bean pods.

2nd Calling

Six Pointer

Same here, seems the word has gotten out that I have (had) cowpeas growing...guess they'll be stuck with radishes, clover and oats through the rest of the season.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Just checked my 2 plots and nothing has come up.....I didnt really do anything different than last year and had a good stand then.
Could be all the dry weather I assume.

Reactions: jug

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Just checked my 2 plots and nothing has come up.....I didnt really do anything different than last year and had a good stand then.
Could be all the dry weather I assume.
Mine ( planted in mid August) are really struggling. Even with some rain they aren't doing well at all.

Clover is coming up the best and radishes are growing. Just not as expected. Hopefully the clover will do ok in the spring.