It's Race Weekend

lasttombstone

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In case anyone missed it, the NASCSR season starts tomorrow. Practice for the Clash starts tomorrow and will be on FS1 at 10:30. Qualifying is Sunday at 12 on FOX and the clash is at 3 on FS1.

Also, the ARCA race is on tomorrow at 4:30 on FS1.

302cj

Twelve Pointer
If I had tickets to 500 this weekend I'd be pissed. First time a pass is made for the lead and winds up taking out whole field. Single file crap sucks

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
These two tracks just don't offer good racing at 190:s mph. Let them run 220's + and separate men from boys (drivers and crew chiefs and engine builders).

302cj

Twelve Pointer
These two tracks just don't offer good racing at 190:s mph. Let them run 220's + and separate men from boys (drivers and crew chiefs and engine builders).
I somewhat agree but the fence won't keep them out of the crowd. Larson Dillon Edwards and Bodine have proved that.

lasttombstone

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well they sure have room to move the crowd back. If the numbers come back up they can put the 46000 seats back up that were on the back stretch.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I somewhat agree but the fence won't keep them out of the crowd. Larson Dillon Edwards and Bodine have proved that.
In my little world, from my couch, They delete the first 20-40 rows, and then fence, and create a SLIGHTLY banked "runoff" area like coming down from Asheville, filled with sand/pebbles, in case cars go airborne towards the crowd. No hard wall impacts, airborne crashes don't injure spectators, Fans don't get to sit 30 feet from 193 mph cars and there might be 2 cars left on the lead lap. But if they're (there for Tip) legal, lettum run that way!

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
“If you’re not a race driver, stay the hell home. — Don’t come here and grumble about going too fast. Get the hell out of the race car if you’ve got feathers on your legs or butt. — Put a kerosene rag around your ankles so the ants won’t climb up there and eat that candy ass.” ~ Dale Earnhardt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perfectroadglide

Six Pointer
Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I remember Buddy Baker taking a Penske Ford during Ryan Newmans time there to Talladega. It ran a unrestricted engine, taller rear gears, and every seam on the car was taped up. He ran 230 and Nascar blew a huge gasket!!!! I'd go back to the track if they let them run.

red neck richie

Six Pointer
Somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind, I remember Buddy Baker taking a Penske Ford during Ryan Newmans time there to Talladega. It ran a unrestricted engine, taller rear gears, and every seam on the car was taped up. He ran 230 and Nascar blew a huge gasket!!!! I'd go back to the track if they let them run.
Link? Chases daddy has the fastest qualifying times. Set the records at Talladega and Daytona.

Starfan

Six Pointer
Link? Chases daddy has the fastest qualifying times. Set the records at Talladega and Daytona.
This was during a test at Talladeda in the early 2000s. Probably hard to find a link because it was not official but it definitely happened. Buddy was not the only one that ran laps with that car that day.

lasttombstone

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buddy was the first to exceed 200 on a closed course in a Dodge Daytona in 1070.

And a side note...... I learned why he was called Buddy and his father was called Buck. Buck's real name was Elzie Wylie Baker and Buddy was a Junior.

red neck richie

Six Pointer
Buddy was the first to exceed 200 on a closed course in a Dodge Daytona in 1070.

And a side note...... I learned why he was called Buddy and his father was called Buck. Buck's real name was Elzie Wylie Baker and Buddy was a Junior.
Awesome Bill holds the legal track record at Daytona at 210.3 mph as well as Talladega at 212.8 mph. These are the fastest legal speeds ever recorded. Bill brother Ernie could flat out build some motors. There are plenty of ways to make cars go faster that aren't legal according to nascar.

lasttombstone

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just for what it's worth.

Records[edit]
  • March 24, 1970: Buddy Baker, driving the Chrysler Engineering No. 88 Dodge Charger Daytona, officially became the first driver in NASCAR history to break the 200 mph (320 km/h) barrier by turning a lap of 200.447 mph (322.588 km/h). This was also a world record at the time for any vehicle on a closed course. It was achieved using official NASCAR scoring and timing equipment.
  • August 20, 1971: Paula Murphy, "Miss STP" made a record closed course run for a female at 171.449 mph (275.920 km/h).
  • August 3, 1974: A. J. Foyt set a closed-course exhibition record in an Indy car with a lap of 217.854 mph (350.602 km/h).[20]
  • August 9, 1975: Mark Donohue set a closed-course world record in a Porsche 917-30 at 221.160 mph (355.923 km/h). It stood as a world record for four years, and as a United States record until 1986.
  • May 6, 1984: The Winston 500 set a motorsports record with 75 lead changes in a single race.
  • May 5, 1985: Bill Elliott set a 500-mile race record, winning the Winston 500 at an average speed of 186.288 mph (299.801 km/h). Elliott won the race despite losing nearly two laps during a lengthy early pit stop to fix a broken oil line, and despite the race only having two caution flags. Elliott made up the entire distance he lost under one lengthy, green-flag period. The record stood as the fastest 500-mile race of any kind until 1990, when Al Unser, Jr. broke it by winning the CART Michigan 500 at Michigan International Speedway at an average speed of 189.727 mph (305.336 km/h). Mark Martin later broke the record for fastest 500-mile NASCAR race (see below).
  • November 26, 1985: Lyn St. James set a record closed course run for a female, at over 200 mph (320 km/h).
  • March 24, 1986: Bobby Unser set a closed-course speed record for four-wheel drive vehicles with an Audi 5000CS Turbo Quattro at 206.825 mph (332.853 km/h) with a top speed over 350 km/h (220 mph). The car was compliant with NASCAR rules.
  • 1986: The Saab Long Run – set 2 world and 21 international records with three series SAAB 9000 Turbos – 100,000 km (62,000 miles) with an average speed of 213.299 km/h (132.538 mph) and 50,000 miles (80,000 km) with an average speed of 213.686 km/h (132.778 mph).

Bill Elliott's car that set the record for the fastest qualifying speed in a stock car – 212.809 mph (342.483 km/h)

Lyn St. James' female closed circuit speed record car
  • April 30, 1987: Bill Elliott set the all-time NASCAR qualifying record, winning the pole for the Winston 500 at a speed of 212.809 mph (342.483 km/h)(44.998 seconds). The record still stands due to the use of the carburetor restrictor plates, mandated after the 1987 season.
  • October 11, 1988: Lyn St. James set a record closed course run for a female at 212.577 mph (342.110 km/h), driving a Ford Thunderbird.
  • December 14, 1989: Patty Moise set a record closed course run for a female at 216.607 mph (348.595 km/h), driving a Buick.
  • January 23, 1990: Patty Moise set a record closed course run for a female at 217.498 mph (350.029 km/h), driving a Buick.
  • 1996: Saab set endurance and speed record-breaking runs in their 900 Talladega.
  • May 10, 1997: Mark Martin won the Winston Select 500, a race which had no caution flags, at a NASCAR 500-mile record speed of 188.354 mph (303.126 km/h), nearly ten years after the introduction of restrictor plates.
  • October 15, 2000: Dale Earnhardt set a record for the most wins at the track with 10. This was also his 76th and final win before his deathin the 2001 Daytona 500.
  • April 6, 2003: Dale Earnhardt, Jr. won his fourth consecutive Cup race at Talladega. The race also saw NASCAR's largest NASCAR Cup Series wreck to date, when 27 cars piled up in turn one on lap four.
  • June 10, 2004: Rusty Wallace, while testing a stock car without a restrictor plate for series sponsor Nextel to test communication capabilities, got an overall lap time of 44.27 seconds at 216.309 mph (348.116 km/h), beating Elliott's old record by more than seven-tenths of a second.[12] Wallace topped out at 228 mph in testing and said that speeds of about 235 mph were attainable.[21][22]
  • April 25, 2010: The Aaron's 499 broke the 1984 mark of 75 lead changes with 88; it also set a new motorsports record with 29 different leaders.
  • October 7, 2012: A crash involving 25 cars erupted on the final lap when Tony Stewart and Matt Kenseth were battling for the win; Stewart made contact Michael Waltrip and went up the track in turn four; he flipped over as the field plowed into a suddenly blocked track. Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch escaped the crash as Kenseth went on to win.[23]The race lead changed a season-high 54 times.

red neck richie

Six Pointer
Im not a fan of plate racing. Its has become more of demolition derby and staying out of the big one. I liked it better when speed and driving skills played a bigger role than who can I get to draft with me. But I am a racing fan and will watch.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Move the stand to the inside of the track, let thg he cars run unrestricted. If they wreck, the ugh go out, but nobody there to hit.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Well, after last night's giant dud, I may do something else Sunday than watch the 500. How did Daytona become a single groove track?!?!?!?!

lasttombstone

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looked just like it did a number of years back before the car of tomorrow. A 40 car freight train. I hope the trucks are better tonight.