It's not often I feel bad for the Wolfpack

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
...but I do right now. After finishing as one of the better teams in the conference this season and crushing GA Tech in the semi's yesterday, they lost 1-0 to Duke in the ACC championship game just now (Dukes first ever championship game appearance).

The bad part is State had a baserunner on 3rd base with only one out in the 6th and a fairly deep (sac) fly ball to center was hit. The runner botched the easy tag-up by leaving the base early and had to return to 3rd, then got stranded when the next batter grounded out to end the inning. The tying run was on 3rd and all he had to do was tag and run home! I feel bad for the kid, and the team knowing it coulda/shoulda been different.

Last edited:

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I guess 1 base running error cancels out 2 fielding errors. I couldn't believe it when he wasn't running home after the flyout.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess 1 base running error cancels out 2 fielding errors. I couldn't believe it when he wasn't running home after the flyout.
Same here. They got the exact situation they wanted with a man on third and only 1 out. In a close game, those little things make all the difference.

In most losses, it rarely can be pinpointed to one play, and even then it's usually something that involves skill where the outcome could go either way. When it's a mental mistake it hurts. I guess the one good thing is that it isn't a season/career ender, they still have a chance in the regionals.

On another note, congrats to ECU on getting selected for a regional site.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Its like missing that FG against Clemson and many other examples, the culture of performing in big moments just isn’t there, talent and opportunity have never really been the issue. It’s hard to get over that hump. Georgia is the same way, just on a higher bar.

WakeHunter32

Eight Pointer
Coach screwed up on the call... it wasn’t noticeable on TV but my buddy was sitting right there and said it was the second bad call he made

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That is far from state's worse collapse on the diamond.
Remember the year Coastal Carolina took it all?
only way it happpens is a State gag on a rain delay. Need two outs up three runs on coastal and you guessed it .
They blow it.
The duke deal was nothing compared to that.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
...but I do right now. After finishing as one of the better teams in the conference this season and crushing GA Tech in the semi's yesterday, they lost 1-0 to Duke in the ACC championship game just now (Dukes first ever championship game appearance).

The bad part is State had a baserunner on 3rd base with only one out in the 6th and a fairly deep (sac) fly ball to center was hit. The runner botched the easy tag-up by leaving the base early and had to return to 3rd, then got stranded when the next batter grounded out to end the inning. The tying run was on 3rd and all he had to do was tag and run home! I feel bad for the kid, and the team knowing it coulda/shoulda been different.

I read an article recently that said the Wolfpack hasn’t won a conference championship in revenue sports in over - 30 years. Can that be true?