It's Not Hard to Be Stupid- Poppop Versions

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I borrowed off of Gemcat's title, hope he won't mind.

It seems like being stupid is getting easier for me as I get older.

Last Thursday, I got on my fourwheeler to ride over to my home orchard to check things out. I had put the choke on to crank the fourwheeler, and the RPM's were pretty high. Like I have done a thousand times, I put it in reverse without taking it off choke. I started backwards, didn't realize my truck was so close, when I did I couldn't think fast enough to take it off choke. All I know is my brakes (adjusting my brakes is on my to do list) wouldn't stop me. Wham, into the drivers door, the basket on the back left about an 18 inch long dent and scratch in the door. It's not hard for me to be stupid.

Another senior moment I had about 5 months ago. Skylar and I was going to the hunting house to hunt. I had hooked my smaller fourwheeler trailer to my truck with the fourwheeler loaded. So, we go back in the house to finish getting stuff together. Fast forward, to cranking up the truck and totally forgetting about the trailer connected behind me. I take off backwards, jack-knifed the trailer and the basket on the fourwheeler tears up the left side of the truck behind the back of the wheel well and the tail light, pretty hefty damage. It's really not hard for me to be stupid.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
What do they say............."an accident looking for somewhere to happen". Just kidding with you. I'm sorry about what has been happening to you. Vehicle damage repair is expensive. Hope your luck changes quickly.

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Don't feel too bad.
I hit my house with the tractor bucket last week. Oops. Luckily it was just a tap on the facia board.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
A few years a go I lent a small car to a coworker when her motor blew in her car. The car hadn't been in the yard for 3 months. At 0445 on opening morning of duck season, I threw my gun decoys and dog in the truck, cranked up, turned the wheel and stepped on the gas. WHAM - right into the side door of the small car that hadn't been in the yard for 3 months. I bumped into the small car hard enough to push it 12 inches sideways.
That has been a few years ago now and I my wife still talks junk about it.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I think all of us do things like this time to time. I all the things I have ran over, ran into and backed over that I should have known were there I definitely know what your talking about. Then of course there are the times you watch other people do the same, of course we try to stop them but it is usually to late.

poppop

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It makes me feel such much better knowing there are other people out there like me. hah

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Back in college I had a watch this moment. Just finished taking the grill guard off and repainting the stock grill on my "new to me" 1990 yota pickup. My GF was standing there so out of nowhere I decided to show her how I could start the truck without the clutch. So I said, "watch this". I stood outside of the truck and used the clutch start CANCEL button and turned the key,the truck took off down a small hill and into my house. I didn't realize it was in 1st gear without the ebrake on. I have never felt so dumb.

Ironically this was a very clean yota truck and had I not taken the grill guard off 30 minutes prior to this, it would have stayed that way.

Last edited: