It's my turn Guys and Gals....

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To make my announcement that I alluded to in a previous post by Moose. That was his time and not my place to derail in any way what joy he was experiencing. I feel some days that I've worked from the time I could walk, but much of what was done at my younger age was just what was normally expected during that time frame. I started "working" in tobacco fields at about 7 or 8 years old for 50 cents a day, but we only worked about 5 or 6 hours. I moved up to working on a dairy farm doing any and all things a 10 year old could, mostly cleaning and helping milk, then with age and abilities increased, move on to tractor operations, hay, feed etc. At 14, I started my first public, check receiving job; a local retail store similar to a Western Auto, just under a different, non chain name. Duties were sales, product assembly and helping with deliveries (as I was not yet licensed to drive). At 16 I left there to do maintenance at a local textile plant, being responsible for grounds maintenance and some structure repairs. During school season I drove a school bus mornings and afternoons two trips each as we had staggered school start times, so parked bus in the afternoon to change clothes and head to the plant to work until dark. I continued with different jobs at the mill through high school and paid for my additional education in automotive repair and technology. Full time school and 50-55 hour work weeks got tough, but I survived and easily procured a job at one of our local GM dealerships. Being an automotive tech for a dealer in the 70's was not what it is today and I decided to build and operate my own garage, so that chapter began in 1981. In '82, I added "Firefighter" to my resume while still continuing to operate my repair business. My son was born in 1999 and I began to reassess my future and what protections he would have if something were to happen to me. I made a decision to again change careers. So, early 2000, I changed direction and became an employee with the NCDOT as a Transportation worker 1. Within months moved into equipment operations and gained valuable knowledge in all aspects of grading operations. I became an advanced operator in all equipment and during the off seasons gained other skills that warranted advancements. During this time, I ended up a single dad raising my (at the time) 8 year old son and his brother, my stepson of 11. I shut down (retired from, I guess) the garage as I couldn't do that and give my boys the time they needed. It got tough to make the fire dept work also, so with 26 years of service, with 15 years or so as Captain, I submitted my retirement papers in 2008. I have now progressed into management within DOT, and could possibly had been coerced to stay a few more years, but have decided it's my time to go. The time frame mirrors what my original intent was at the beginning and I feel blessed that things have worked as they have. I have always been thrifty with my accrued off time and banked what I could in preparation of this time. As I finished the week yesterday and left, the realization kinda hit me that there will not be many more of those, as I only have 8 days to be there between now and September 30th. I plan to work 3 days in August and 5 in September. My official retirement date is October 1, 2019 with 20 years of credible service.
I have much to catch up on and many chores to finish, but for the first time in my life, none of it will be under a schedule or time frame. I won't have to rush on my Saturdays to get a project done due to having to go to "work" on Monday. I missed every snow playing with my boys because I had to work. For the first time in many, many years, I will hopefully enjoy our next snow event. May find a local kid to help make a snowman. Or, just wait until our, just born 3 days ago, granddaughter gets big enough. :) I'll maybe get to hunt a fresh snow, who knows. I've invested and prepared for this as best I could, and with going out, out of debt, which is a biggie. Earlier this year we picked up a 37' toy hauler and then realized I needed more truck, so I finally located a GMC 3500 Duramax dually to pull it with safely. I see road trips in our near future as there is much of this great nation yet for us to explore. The plan is to pick an area, get there, and take day trips on the bike, weather permitting. If weather is not conducive, the truck will be the mode of transportation. When ready, load up and head to another adventure. Many things and places to do and see..
I could continue rambling, but I'm sure you could understand my excitement to begin another chapter, this one hopefully being a gratifying one. Nothing can beat having your children, watching them grow and being proud of their accomplishments, but I am tickled pink surviving to get to this point of my life with good health and a full heart. I hope to enjoy as much as the Lord will enable.
Thanks for reading, and I may just see some of you on our travels. Kenny

Starfan

Eight Pointer
To make my announcement that I alluded to in a previous post by Moose. That was his time and not my place to derail in any way what joy he was experiencing. I feel some days that I've worked from the time I could walk, but much of what was done at my younger age was just what was normally expected during that time frame. I started "working" in tobacco fields at about 7 or 8 years old for 50 cents a day, but we only worked about 5 or 6 hours. I moved up to working on a dairy farm doing any and all things a 10 year old could, mostly cleaning and helping milk, then with age and abilities increased, move on to tractor operations, hay, feed etc. At 14, I started my first public, check receiving job; a local retail store similar to a Western Auto, just under a different, non chain name. Duties were sales, product assembly and helping with deliveries (as I was not yet licensed to drive). At 16 I left there to do maintenance at a local textile plant, being responsible for grounds maintenance and some structure repairs. During school season I drove a school bus mornings and afternoons two trips each as we had staggered school start times, so parked bus in the afternoon to change clothes and head to the plant to work until dark. I continued with different jobs at the mill through high school and paid for my additional education in automotive repair and technology. Full time school and 50-55 hour work weeks got tough, but I survived and easily procured a job at one of our local GM dealerships. Being an automotive tech for a dealer in the 70's was not what it is today and I decided to build and operate my own garage, so that chapter began in 1981. In '82, I added "Firefighter" to my resume while still continuing to operate my repair business. My son was born in 1999 and I began to reassess my future and what protections he would have if something were to happen to me. I made a decision to again change careers. So, early 2000, I changed direction and became an employee with the NCDOT as a Transportation worker 1. Within months moved into equipment operations and gained valuable knowledge in all aspects of grading operations. I became an advanced operator in all equipment and during the off seasons gained other skills that warranted advancements. During this time, I ended up a single dad raising my (at the time) 8 year old son and his brother, my stepson of 11. I shut down (retired from, I guess) the garage as I couldn't do that and give my boys the time they needed. It got tough to make the fire dept work also, so with 26 years of service, with 15 years or so as Captain, I submitted my retirement papers in 2008. I have now progressed into management within DOT, and could possibly had been coerced to stay a few more years, but have decided it's my time to go. The time frame mirrors what my original intent was at the beginning and I feel blessed that things have worked as they have. I have always been thrifty with my accrued off time and banked what I could in preparation of this time. As I finished the week yesterday and left, the realization kinda hit me that there will not be many more of those, as I only have 8 days to be there between now and September 30th. I plan to work 3 days in August and 5 in September. My official retirement date is October 1, 2019 with 20 years of credible service.
I have much to catch up on and many chores to finish, but for the first time in my life, none of it will be under a schedule or time frame. I won't have to rush on my Saturdays to get a project done due to having to go to "work" on Monday. I missed every snow playing with my boys because I had to work. For the first time in many, many years, I will hopefully enjoy our next snow event. May find a local kid to help make a snowman. Or, just wait until our, just born 3 days ago, granddaughter gets big enough. :) I'll maybe get to hunt a fresh snow, who knows. I've invested and prepared for this as best I could, and with going out, out of debt, which is a biggie. Earlier this year we picked up a 37' toy hauler and then realized I needed more truck, so I finally located a GMC 3500 Duramax dually to pull it with safely. I see road trips in our near future as there is much of this great nation yet for us to explore. The plan is to pick an area, get there, and take day trips on the bike, weather permitting. If weather is not conducive, the truck will be the mode of transportation. When ready, load up and head to another adventure. Many things and places to do and see..
I could continue rambling, but I'm sure you could understand my excitement to begin another chapter, this one hopefully being a gratifying one. Nothing can beat having your children, watching them grow and being proud of their accomplishments, but I am tickled pink surviving to get to this point of my life with good health and a full heart. I hope to enjoy as much as the Lord will enable.
Thanks for reading, and I may just see some of you on our travels. Kenny
Enjoy sir, you deserve it.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congrats it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You have done alot for this community, much more than you listed. If you get bored we could use a part-time wrench turner here in Anson. Enjoy the kids we will clear the roads. Thanks for everything. You have earned it.

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. You have done alot for this community, much more than you listed. If you get bored we could use a part-time wrench turner here in Anson. Enjoy the kids we will clear the roads. Thanks for everything. You have earned it.

Thank you Tommy. I did leave out a lot, but basically wanted to portray a work history so others could maybe understand that,,,,, well, I'm tired. So ready for a break. And, I "may" do a repair here and there. I had thought of opening back up maybe 2 or 3 days a week, but with the need here, I see where that could easily lead. Will see how bored I get and make a decision then. I do still look out for my friends though, just on the sly..?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Kenny,
I hope you enjoy every minute, not just of the retirement but the grand baby as well. You and your family are good people and hope to one day meet up again. Lots of memories with you and yours

Thank you Ian. Miss you guys, and I hope you realize the memories you guys left with me. I truly value the time with your family. Don't be a stranger....my door is always open for you and yours.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Congratulations on the retirement. May you have many enjoyable days ahead of you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thank you Tommy. I did leave out a lot, but basically wanted to portray a work history so others could maybe understand that,,,,, well, I'm tired. So ready for a break. And, I "may" do a repair here and there. I had thought of opening back up maybe 2 or 3 days a week, but with the need here, I see where that could easily lead. Will see how bored I get and make a decision then. I do still look out for my friends though, just on the sly..?
Good things come to good people and you are a prime example. We are only a phone call away if you need anything. Congrats and may God bless you and your familyl

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
Congratulations on your retirement. You are going to love it. And congratulations on that new granddaughter. ?

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations! As one chapter of your life closes others will open up! Make the most of them and enjoy the fruits of your labors! All the best for the future!