It's hatch time...

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Yesterday I saw more Poults than I've seen in the last 7 years in Vale, on our property. In year's past, they often come into our orchard, and our woods behind our house - most seen till yesterday was 28-30 in 2014 - but today was pretty impressive, almost orgasmic. 4 to 5 Hens with nearly 8 to 10 Poults each (34 -38?) ventured up into our side yard only 40' from the house. They've never come so close before. Their procession extended from behind our house all the way up our driveway, then went into our wooded property behind our house. We chose not to hunt this past spring and I think it's paying off. Lol. I was afraid to go outside for fear of spooking them.

I’m in vale too and have seen a ton this year.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterday I saw more Poults than I've seen in the last 7 years in Vale, on our property. In year's past, they often come into our orchard, and our woods behind our house - most seen till yesterday was 28-30 in 2014 - but today was pretty impressive, almost orgasmic. 4 to 5 Hens with nearly 8 to 10 Poults each (34 -38?) ventured up into our side yard only 40' from the house. They've never come so close before. Their procession extended from behind our house all the way up our driveway, then went into our wooded property behind our house. We chose not to hunt this past spring and I think it's paying off. Lol. I was afraid to go outside for fear of spooking them.

As other forum members have said many times “Can’t wait until 2021... should be a record year”

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen 4 hens and 21 poults this morning. I had to stop and let them cross the road ,half mile from the house. They all ran across and took off flying....
Was a purty sight :cool:
Here in Western Harnett county

Last edited:

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Saw a few hens (3-4?) and at least 5 poults in the woods less than 75 yards behind the house this afternoon. There was a few more that I couldn't see clearly. I definitely saw movement in the brush ahead & behind the birds I confirmed. I hope to get the chance to see the whole gang in the open someday soon. Made my day.

Jim

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The poults around our house are now the size of large chickens so they have a much better chance at survival than as tiny chicks. We still have the same number as a month ago, that's very unusual to not see the flock diminishing during the months between chick and chicken sized poults.
We also noticed that one of the mother hens has a beard that has grown at least 3 inches since early spring, it will be interesting to watch and see just how long it gets. It's very prominent now, where just a few months ago it was short and very thin.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Seen some of the same again,2 hens and 11 poults,6 were jakes, seen about 40 hens and,poults there last year,that block of,land is,prime brood range, .

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I saw 1 hen with 10 poults yesterday morn. There were also 4 gobblers on the other side of the same field. Not technically in NC, but I could see the state line and the birds at the same time(y)

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I got a disappointing pic on my trail cam this weekend......two hens walking together and not a poult between them. :confused:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Seen a hen with 8 poults crossing the road beside my driveway this morning. :geek:
I could not believe it. Birds were coming from my side of the road. The birds all flew across the road once they hit the center line.

Last edited: