It's hatch time...

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I haven't seen any turkey poults yet, but it's time. I've seen plenty of duck and goose peeps in local ponds and lakes, the turkey poults should start being visible real soon.

If we are ever going to have a great hatch here in NC, this year should be THE year. Warm and dry for now and future-cast show the same.

Let's see if the NCWRC grades it at "poor to fair" again for the 12th year in a row....also time to fire up the coyote and nest raider post...(extreme sarcasm)....

Y'all seen any poults yet ??

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
not yet,,,but then just got home from an 7 day SE US boondoggle for work and helping my youngest move,,,,home to tampa to starkville and back home,,,Sunday to Saturday,,,

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
According to Mike Seamster the bulk of the hens should have hatched off this past week in NC. He told more than once that he wished farmers would wait till the 2nd week in June to bale hay and mow fields. He claimed that hens start hatching from May 15 to June 10 across NC. We should have a great hatch all across NC.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I mowed a field and flushed a hen on nest. I picked the head up and went over and continued on. When I was tedding I saw cracked shells. The way they were outside of the nest I think something got them.

In a completely different area a couple of days ago I saw a hen leading her poults away from me in the woods as I checked fences.

While weed eating electric fences yesterday I came across a clump of turkey feathers. Turkeys just aren't having an easy life around me.

I'll tell you what I'm not short on is deer.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I've only seen a destroyed nest and what was left of a hen. Hope my cameras tell a different story.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Saw my first today on the farm at the house...hen with 6 about 4 inches tall.

Also saw a strutting Tom with 6 hens down the road.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang with all this rain the poults will need to swim like goslings( ain’t that what a baby goose is)

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
These,floods,are,going to,kill,alot of,them,again too much rain at the wrong time. I hope,alot hatched early tone able,to roost high enough .some,ate,still to young and,not hatched yet.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I knew we couldn’t go all spring without someone (I mean something like a sprinkle)... dooming the turkeys!??

No offense but it rains Spring and summer in NC

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I knew we couldn’t go all spring without someone (I mean something like a sprinkle)... dooming the turkeys!??

No offense but it rains Spring and summer in NC
Yup now we have our excuse. In all honestly though eastern Pisgah has whole lot flooding right now and the numbers were down there this year didn't need this but hopefully birds stayed high and hatched already we'll know come later this summer

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
It sure don't help,them,sure some hatched early,but alot have not,seems every. June it pours for a week,Had reports of a few hens with one to 3 little ones last week,hopefully they will survive.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
These are wild birds they ain't drowning hen has enough instinct to get them on high ground. And the weather has been warm piedmont on east no issue with hypothermia. I can't see in any way a week of rain gonna ruin a hatch at this point

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It sure don't help,them,sure some hatched early,but alot have not,seems every. June it pours for a week,Had reports of a few hens with one to 3 little ones last week,hopefully they will survive.
and every year the population grows and grows.
I just cant figure it out.