Its Gestures Like This.....

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
.....That will help dog hunting stay a viable sport.

Was visiting with my neighbor the farmer this morning when an older gentleman pulled into the driveway and approached us. Turns out he was a member of the local dog club, and was visiting landowners and known hunters in the local area, handing out honorary club membership cards. The cards state that the bearer has permission to hunt the club's leased land in any legal manner, good for the 2019 season, signed and dated by the club president. He even gave me a "guest hunter" card good for one day's hunting, in case I wanted to bring a guest sometime.

We had a nice visit, I told him that even though my land was posted the club was welcome to run the dogs across; (I even looked forward to it), and offered to help recover any deer they might need to have tracked.

It's gestures like this that are needed to keep the sport of deer hunting with dogs going. I'll probably never hunt on the club's leased land, but having the offer extended is just plain smart public relations on the club's part, and a good way to keep in good graces with local landowners........

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know if we have ever done that, but adjoining land owners have always been welcome to hunt with us at no charge. Never hurts to be respectful and extend courtesy.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Amen to that. Yesterday I got a tracking dog by asking the local dog hunters for help on my radio. They obliged and quickly send a gentleman with Roscoe, the star of the show.

Things like this will keep the sport alive, as it should be!

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Moving along the same line as this post, we were bear hunting Friday my wife, daughter and her roommate from college had come up Thursday night to hunt with us. The girl with my daughter has deer hunted with my daughter on the farm and been with us a few times when we ran the fox and bear dogs in the off season, but this was her first real bear hunt with hounds, she has a slight problem with her hip that makes walking long distances a problem for her even on flat ground much less in the mountains. We were hoping to get her a shot at one crossing the road but that didn't work out, we treed one about 800 yards off the road being we had already decided she was going to take the bear and we are some fairly nice size boys we decided to take turns toting her on our backs to get to the tree, she took a really nice 322lb boar that my wife is having made into a rug for her. It is a hunt she will remember for a lifetime and tell her kids and grandkids about when 6 big bad bear hunters toted her to a tree so she could shoot a bear so glad I was part of it.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Moving along the same line as this post, we were bear hunting Friday my wife, daughter and her roommate from college had come up Thursday night to hunt with us. The girl with my daughter has deer hunted with my daughter on the farm and been with us a few times when we ran the fox and bear dogs in the off season, but this was her first real bear hunt with hounds, she has a slight problem with her hip that makes walking long distances a problem for her even on flat ground much less in the mountains. We were hoping to get her a shot at one crossing the road but that didn't work out, we treed one about 800 yards off the road being we had already decided she was going to take the bear and we are some fairly nice size boys we decided to take turns toting her on our backs to get to the tree, she took a really nice 322lb boar that my wife is having made into a rug for her. It is a hunt she will remember for a lifetime and tell her kids and grandkids about when 6 big bad bear hunters toted her to a tree so she could shoot a bear so glad I was part of it.
Awesome! Hats off to y'all for making a hunt happen.