It's basketball season

dpc

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No worries

Duke will do fine and be in local tourny always With holes placed 3,4 in easy brackets

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How does the notion of "night in and night out" help......when they're beating you RIGHT NOW?
I mean for Duke moving forward, not in that specific game. I was referring to how teams choose to defend and force duke to play, that style is the best way to beat them, because they won’t shoot at that % night in and night out. Of course, you knew what I meant.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
“if I was UVA I’d stick with the plan and keep making them beat me from 3.”

The above quote is why I said what I did.

When do you think they should stray from the plan, when Duke’s shooting lights out?

You could just admit you stepped in it, you know.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
“if I was UVA I’d stick with the plan and keep making them beat me from 3.”

The above quote is why I said what I did.

When do you think they should stray from the plan, when Duke’s shooting lights out?

You could just admit you stepped in it, you know.
Even down double digits, I’d have stuck with the plan. Duke is one of the worst shooting teams in the ACC, if they shoot double their average %, they’re going to beat you no matter what they do. My opinion is that’s how you play them and if they’d shoot 60% from 3, then tip your hat to them and take the loss. I’m just saying they lay it in and dunk it at a much higher rate than they make peremiter jump shots, so force them to make em.

I want to see how Zion fares in an intense up and down game where he’s forced to run for 30 minutes. He was sucking wind and they were walking it up the court. I stick to the fact that they’ll struggle against NCSU/UNC

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’m cool with it, just don’t see it except for Coby ability to beat them off the dribble and break them down
The only advantage i see uva having is bennett doesnt make the crazy line up moves that roy is famous for.
Roy sat white a looooong time in the first half yesterday and refuses to start his best player Little.
That's how unc could lose. head scratching line ups by the GOAT-CH.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On ESPN this morning, they showed the odds of Duke beating UNC, NCSU and VT, upcoming.

They were (respectively), 80%, 90% & 57%.

Duke is WAY above UNC and NCSU.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
On ESPN this morning, they showed the odds of Duke beating UNC, NCSU and VT, upcoming.

They were (respectively), 80%, 90% & 57%.

Duke is WAY above UNC and NCSU.
Agree, Duke can lose but only if they have a off night, if Duke and the other teams above both bring their A game Duke wins.....

Duke is one of the worst shooting teams in the ACC,
What? The only team with a higher FG% than Duke in the ACC is VT, so actually Duke is the second best shooting team in the ACC.....and Duke is 21st in the nation for FG%.....UNC is 50th and VA is 39th nationally....all other ACC teams are not in the top 50 for shooting %....not sure how this translate into Duke being the worst shooting team in the ACC lol.....not to mention that Duke has that high of a percentage playing arguably the hardest schedule in college basketball.....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
duke is deadly from two point range (thus the high percentage) but did indeed suck at three point shooting. and free throws.
boon dock is right on that one.
last night was a random lightining strike for Duke's three pt shooting.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Agree, Duke can lose but only if they have a off night, if Duke and the other teams above both bring their A game Duke wins.....

What? The only team with a higher FG% than Duke in the ACC is VT, so actually Duke is the second best shooting team in the ACC.....and Duke is 21st in the nation for FG%.....UNC is 50th and VA is 39th nationally....all other ACC teams are not in the top 50 for shooting %....not sure how this translate into Duke being the worst shooting team in the ACC lol.....not to mention that Duke has that high of a percentage playing arguably the hardest schedule in college basketball.....
I didn’t say FG%, I was referencing their % from 3.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I don’t disagree if everyone brings their “A” game, becaus who has the talent that’s duke has. Duke has no depth at PG and plays mainly a 7 man rotation, in a fast paced up and down game, that’ll matter. I’m not saying Duke would lose more than they win against UNC or NCSU, they’re the better overall team, I’m saying they’ll struggle against that style of basketball and it’s the most likely situation they’ll lose. The zone from Syracuse and GT exposed Duke, and in those games they didn’t shoot 60% from 3. I know they beat GT but the system worked against them. I hope to see Roy and Keatts mix in zone early and often and drive the ball at Zion. If Zion or Barrett get in foul trouble, Duke will lose.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Oh ok that makes more sense, but last night showed that they can win from outside, but with such a strong inside/drive game they dont need more than 35% from behind the arc to win....
Don’t even need that high of percentage. They’ve won 7 of their 9 ACC games shooting below that.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t even need that high of percentage. They’ve won 7 of their 9 ACC games shooting below that.
I agree Duke can win without hitting a lot of 3's....but it sure looks like they can pour it on when they want too. Their game plan this year doesnt have them shoot a lot of 3's though so thats one reason why the make percentage is down as well. Duke will lose a few more games this year no doubt and they could really be to anyone....still IMO they have the best chance of winning 6 in a row come March.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree Duke can win without hitting a lot of 3's....but it sure looks like they can pour it on when they want too. Their game plan this year doesnt have them shoot a lot of 3's though so thats one reason why the make percentage is down as well. Duke will lose a few more games this year no doubt and they could really be to anyone....still IMO they have the best chance of winning 6 in a row come March.
I agree, they’re definitely the best team. I also agree they win the majority of their games shooting 35% from 3, but making them take twice as many 3s as they normally do and still shooting 35% is how you’re going to beat them. If you get duke in a game where they shoot 20+ 3s and shoot 35%, duke loses that ball game.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Halfway through the ACC season and just doing some fun stat checking.

The following is teams combined current ACC opponents records as well as their 3 teams that they play twice.

Duke
46-55
25-6

UNC
44-61
15-17

UVA
49-53
18-13

LVille
49-62
19-11

Syracuse
40-61
16-14

Virginia Tech
54-58
14-18

Florida State
49-53
9-21

Clemson
53-51
11-19

NC State
54-56
13-17

GT
61-42
14-17

Notre Dame
55-48
18-13

Boston College
60-44
15-17

Wake Forest
51-52
20-11

Pittsburgh
73-43
18-14

Miami
70-44
17-13

Easiest ACC Schedule to date
UNC
Syracuse

Hardest ACC schedule to date
Pittsburgh
Miami

Easiest teams that you play twice
Florida State
Clemson

Hardest teams that you play twice
Duke (by a wide margin)
Wake Forest

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I agree, they’re definitely the best team. I also agree they win the majority of their games shooting 35% from 3, but making them take twice as many 3s as they normally do and still shooting 35% is how you’re going to beat them. If you get duke in a game where they shoot 20+ 3s and shoot 35%, duke loses that ball game.
Well they do average 24.2 attempts from behind the arc per game so far this year.....and have only lost 2 games by a combined 6 pts....in the Zaga loss they shot 38.5% on just 13 attempts from 3pt land....the Cuse loss was miserable with them hitting 20% from behind the arc on a embarrassing 9-43 from 3 ball land.....but they didnt shoot well from anywhere really that game and even then only lost by 4 pts.

Duke doesnt need the 3 to win, but it helps if they can shoot it reliably to keep the other team from packing the lanes.....

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Duke doesnt need the 3 to win, but it helps if they can shoot it reliably to keep the other team from packing the lanes.....
This. If Duke shoots well from 3, no one is going to beat them. Their only weakness is depth and poor 3 point shooting. Duke should win the title, they're the best team hands down. The only chance is to turn them into a jump shooting team. I didn't realize they were averaging taking 24 3s a game, that's surprising. I'll eat my previous statement.