It's A Great Start!

manybeards

Ten Pointer
By a vote of 5-4 The NC Marine Fisheries Commission has ordered a ban on all gill nets in the Neuse and Pamlico rivers upstream from the designated ferry lines to the freshwater boundaries. In addition, entanglement nets downstream from the ferry lines will be severely restricted .... My understanding is that this will be a 2 year program designed to assess the impact on Striped Bass as well as Spotted Sea Trout, Red Drum and Flounder.
Our hope of course is that this will yield the data neccessary to ultimately lead to a total gill net ban in inshore waters.
I'd like to offer my congratulations and thanks to the Commissioners voting in the affirmative. This is indeed a step in the right direction.....

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lol you guys are a trip.

If it was that much better years ago, I don’t reckon I’d last more than a day or two before my thumbs for too sore and my back hurt and my coolers and freezers were full.

What’s the run right now? If you can’t catch what you’re after, in their proper season, now, somethings wrong, and I’ll give you a hint, it ain’t what’s in the water (unless you’re wading ?).

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Always with the insults.... "You guys ain't catchin' s#@t cause you don't know how to fish!" So, if Comms are such accomplished hook and line fishermen why not get out there and show us how it's done! Burn those nets and catch your 75 Trout/day with a stick and a string......

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Always with the insults.... "You guys ain't catchin' s#@t cause you don't know how to fish!" So, if Comms are such accomplished hook and line fishermen why not get out there and show us how it's done! Burn those nets and catch your 75 Trout/day with a stick and a string......

Me and downeastnc have fished and caught good flounder all the while a comm guy was watching. Went back the next day and there were 6 nets end to end even around peoples docks. The entire bank was like that for a few weeks and the fishing sucked.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
Me and downeastnc have fished and caught good flounder all the while a comm guy was watching. Went back the next day and there were 6 nets end to end even around peoples docks. The entire bank was like that for a few weeks and the fishing sucked.
Maybe this is the beginning of some positive changes Shaggy. Sure hope so.

redbow

Ten Pointer
By a vote of 5-4 The NC Marine Fisheries Commission has ordered a ban on all gill nets in the Neuse and Pamlico rivers upstream from the designated ferry lines to the freshwater boundaries. In addition, entanglement nets downstream from the ferry lines will be severely restricted .... My understanding is that this will be a 2 year program designed to assess the impact on Striped Bass as well as Spotted Sea Trout, Red Drum and Flounder.
Our hope of course is that this will yield the data neccessary to ultimately lead to a total gill net ban in inshore waters.
I'd like to offer my congratulations and thanks to the Commissioners voting in the affirmative. This is indeed a step in the right direction.....
What are the restrictions downstream from the ferry lines?

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My neighbor is a part time commercial fisherman. He told me yesterday that there is now "no possession" of striped bass, and the season on flounder has been cut from 8 months to 20 days.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Check me if i'm wrong ,but all the fish caught in the nets are dead right , so what is the point of no possesion rules if they are dead still doe's not help the populations any,just seems like a lost cause no matter what restrictions are except for no nets at all inshore.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Check me if i'm wrong ,but all the fish caught in the nets are dead right , so what is the point of no possesion rules if they are dead still doe's not help the populations any,just seems like a lost cause no matter what restrictions are except for no nets at all inshore.
In a legal net there's actually quite a bit alive if fished properly. If set late afternoon and pulled early in the morning a lot of the non target species are able to be thrown back. They're not quite the death Ray there made out to be. With the legal mesh size most of the smaller species swim through and the bigger bounce off. There is some by catch but not as much as your led to believe. If you get a chance you should go sometime. It was an eye opening experience for me. I personally don't have a dog in this fight, just hate to see people loose they're livelihood when I doubt the few guys still netting are causing the fishery problems.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
In a legal net there's actually quite a bit alive if fished properly. If set late afternoon and pulled early in the morning a lot of the non target species are able to be thrown back. They're not quite the death Ray there made out to be. With the legal mesh size most of the smaller species swim through and the bigger bounce off. There is some by catch but not as much as your led to believe. If you get a chance you should go sometime. It was an eye opening experience for me. I personally don't have a dog in this fight, just hate to see people loose they're livelihood when I doubt the few guys still netting are causing the fishery problems.

Hard to say. Ive been on certain narrow rivers and creeks in the winter time when trout are stacked up and the whole place is wrapped in nets. Not hard to put a hurtin on those fish when they are so concentrated.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Hard to say. Ive been on certain narrow rivers and creeks in the winter time when trout are stacked up and the whole place is wrapped in nets. Not hard to put a hurtin on those fish when they are so concentrated.
There are definitely situations like that where nets are extremely effective. With regulations on mesh size, regulations on where and when they can be fished I don't think gill nets are the cause of the fisheries problem. I'm talking Flounder and striper. It's not wide open as you would be led to believe. In my mind water quality is the big issue. Most of the grasses are gone. Don't know if anyone's heard about the dead water that

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Several decades ago there was a concerted effort to restore the striped bass to the rivers of NC. Millions of dollars were spent on research, collecting native fish for nursery stock, and releasing them in our rivers. All of the money came from recreational fishermen. Not one dime came from the commercial fishing industry. The success of the striped bass fishery in NC is entirely due to the person with the rod and the reel. Yet it was not very long after that when the commercial industry jumped at the chance to harvest as many striped bass as legal possible. I say for every striper landed by a commercial fisherman he should pay a restitution fee. Say a dollar a fish, or maybe 25 cent a pound, whichever is greater. Basically pay their fair share instead of acting like a common thief. They are not your fish!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
The stripers used to come off of our coast a few years back......big ones. I have been out there numerous times and seen hundreds of dead stripers floating where they were culled by the commercial guys. Big enough to keep but trying to keep the largest fish to get the extra pounds. Bitch all you want to Justin but there is NO justifying that.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer

I never thought I'd live to see this day. It was so frustrating trying to get our government to consider resource first, when Basnight was in control. And, this gill net ban is the reason commercials fought a NC rec salt water license for decades. Once anglers started paying to fish saltwater, we finally have a voice. There's so much waste with the gill nets. Every trip I fished Swan Quarter, I'd pull up a few nets just to see what was in them. At least half of the catch had been eaten by crabs. One trip I couldn't even get to shore, because the islands were surrounded by miles of gill nets. Commercials are going to be amazed at what our sounds can produce without gill nets. I've said for a long time, our sounds could be better than any place on earth without mega net pressure. Just look at what Florida and Texas did when they banned gill nets. Just pull up a few photos of strings of FL, LA, TX, MS reds and trout. Inshore trawling needs to be banned too, but this is a nice start. I still can't believe it passed in NC. Recreational angler income will out weigh commercial income by at least 100X!

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Ignore CCA and the Wake county navy boys too.

<>< Fish

It's not just them. I used to have discussion with the commercial guys 30 years ago. I warned them then, that when rec anglers started moving here from other states, they would demand change, to allot more fish to them...like states where they had moved from and protect more of the immature resources. And, with more anglers and the money they provided to the economy, the commercial's monopoly of state power would change. I really didn't think it would happen during my lifetime, but I knew it was coming. I gave up the fight 20 years ago...for more angler friendly laws, because it was just too depressing for my life. I still fished, but focused more on hunting after those days. The public meetings back then were a total waste of angler's time. The state was going to do little until the resource declined almost beyond repair. The resource finally got there for a major change.

I was farming full time back then and the full time commercials compared their job of fishing to farming. I said no way. I put a ton of input into growing my crop. After spending my own money in growing the produce, I only harvested when mature. Commercials ONLY harvest what nature grows with no input and is somewhat regulated by government. I was way ahead of my time, because I compared net fishing to managing deer for larger bucks. We could shoot 1 1/2 year old state deer or let them walk for a chance to get bigger. Main difference is, hunters with private farms basically own that area, where the sound is open to all. So, commercial guys see the resource as, if they don't harvest what they can the next guy will. Oyster leases are similar to farming though. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seafood you guys produce as much as anyone, but it makes no common sense, to have gill nets and trawlers in our nursery areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

redbow

Ten Pointer
Ignor CCA and the Wake county navy boys too.

<>< Fish
You commercial guys all have the same mentality. No wonder you're losing the war. I sincerely thank you. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
You commercial guys all have the same mentality. No wonder you're losing the war. I sincerely thank you. Keep up the good work.

The Can't Catch Anything boys are only effective in the same way that liberals get their agendas made into laws, special/secret votes, liberal judges making rulings against popular opinion etc. Congrats if you're one of them. Keep up the good for nothing activities. I'd hate to think that I was that bad of a fisherman that I'd put any of my time and money towards an organization like CCA. #fcca

<>< Fish

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Ive been down this road with you. I knew better than to try to reason common sense into the subject. Carry on. You’re too far gone to waste time on.
I don't understand your haughty atittude. Damn netters have ruint the fishing----Last summer I used the lures the sales man at Neuse Sport Shop sold me at the Rock Jetty over the 4th of July and caught diddly. Considering I was using my power pole to maintain my position you can't say that netting hasn't negativly impacted our inshore fishing.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I don't understand your haughty atittude. Damn netters have ruint the fishing----Last summer I used the lures the sales man at Neuse Sport Shop sold me at the Rock Jetty over the 4th of July and caught diddly. Considering I was using my power pole to maintain my position you can't say that netting hasn't negativly impacted our inshore fishing.

Your CCA hat was crooked and your salt life sticker won’t level.