It's A Great Start!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Actually it is you and all your buddies up river from the sounds that are the problem(not picking on you in particular, just using that as a general term). All the asshats that go to Lowe’s and Home Depot and fertilize the crap out of their lawns 3 or 4 times a year add more nutrient load to the after then any large agricultural enterprise does. If a farmer is letting fertilizer get in the ditches, he is throwing money away. Personally I don’t think weed n feed or any other fertilizer should be available to the general public. The nitrogen load caused more issues with the sound dying then anything else. Trawlers are the #1 issue, but piss poor water quality is a not so distant second and probably just as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been saying that for years! For a long time, farmers were blamed for most of the pollution and sediment in the Neuse. Laws were created that forced farmers to do all kinds of proven conservation methods that would reduce the impact of farming on our waters. It was found that all the conservation farmers were forced to do, did very little for the Neuse water quality. So, researchers ended up looking further upstream...and they landed in all the cities and towns along the Neuse River Basin. Law makers didn't mind putting the screws to a few farmers, but WHOA!....they were not about to pinch themselves and major population areas with similar restrictions on lawn fertilizing and pesticide use.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
My dad was on this for decades. He never used any type of pesticide, fertilizer, or herbicide on our lawns. Now that I own my own home I do not either. It should be outlawed or you have to pay an expert who knows the right amounts to apply it for the given situation, for residential application. I know there are some cities across the country who have banned them. Look up organic golf courses. There are some that dont spray anything. Hopefully this is a trend that catches on.

My dad also got his masters by doing a large study on nitrogen runoff from farms for his thesis. Farms certainly do have runoff. Yes they have stricter rules but when you apply chemicals to such large amounts of land its going to get in the water. The study i talked about earlier testing water quality on the Pungo river is a prime example. All the creeks that dump into that river are fed by creeks that run through miles of farm land, not residential land. After the rains when the water quality numbers were terrible for days was because of farm runoff, not residents.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I got my masters in drop netting croakers with a net reel with no brake off of Hatteras. Had to put your shoulder on the wheel to keep from back spin. Did my thesis on reducing tangles while commercial king mackerel fishing with four planer rods. No electric reels. Nothing sucks more than being covered up in slime with ten boxes of makerels. You get back to dock and price has dropped out 75 percent. Hardly enough to cover your fuel. You guys will never have to worry about me king mackerel fishing.

Last edited:

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I got my masters in drop netting croakers with a net reel with no brake off of Hatteras. Had to put your shoulder on the wheel to keep from back spin. Did my thesis on reducing tangles while commercial king mackerel fishing with four planning rods. No electric reels. Nothing sucks more than being covered up in slime with ten boxes of makerels. You get back to dock and price has dropped out 75 percent. You guys will never have to worry about me king mackerel fishing. Especially for fun.
Sounds like we went to the same school ?. Unload a box of flounder behind the fish House and be told the price is rock bottom then go inside and wonder who the hell is paying 10 dollars a pound for them. Kinda hard to shallow after being up all night. I'm done with that and I don't care if I ever see another king mackerel

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
The only time I got a mackerel on the line is if it has a hook sticking out of its ass past 1000 fathoms.

Attachments

• 99FE8E41-F3CD-4757-8C40-88584BBF00E4.jpeg
    99FE8E41-F3CD-4757-8C40-88584BBF00E4.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
But then again me and my commercial license are to blame for depleting the species. Kind of like the bailer dolphins. It was us charter boys that set local limits to 60 fish per day 30 years before NCMF got involved. Now there are international long liners out in the weed lines every day with 10 miles of gear. Use to be you get you box full of bailers in thirty minutes so you could spend the rest of the day in the deep. Not the case anymore.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
But then again me and my commercial license are to blame for depleting the species. Kind of like the bailer dolphins. It was us charter boys that set local limits to 60 fish per day 30 years before NCMF got involved. Now there are international long liners out in the weed lines every day with 10 miles of gear. Use to be you get you box full of bailers in thirty minutes so you could spend the rest of the day in the deep. Not the case anymore.

Seems everyone is a victim and no one is at fault. Coms blame farmers, farmers blame residential, and so on. Meanwhile fisheries go down and everyone sits around pointing fingers.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer

You're speaking federal waters, we're basically speaking state inside waters. Do you really think trawling and gill netting in our nursery area is a good idea?

gangrig252

For the ones who seem so set on commercial fishing being the big issue.....
Why not offer a buy out based on pervious 10 year sales. Pay these men what the would make in their lives as fishermen based on age and I'm sure they would burn their gear and cut up their license

ECU_Pirate

Banned
For the ones who seem so set on commercial fishing being the big issue.....
Why not offer a buy out based on pervious 10 year sales. Pay these men what the would make in their lives as fishermen based on age and I'm sure they would burn their gear and cut up their license

No one is saying you cant commercial fish. We just want certain gear not to be used in certain places.