it's a feud now,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so been raising domestic mallards for dog training (and YES I have a propagators license),,, had this years crop coming along nicely, two hatches worth,,,

some critter broke in last night,,, only have 6 left,,, 1 older duck,,,two from first hatch and 3 from second,,,

lost two old ducks, 3 from first hatch and 4 from second,,,

sign is ambiguous - definitely not a large critter (fox/coon sized),, tracks unreadable,,, found some carnage but not enough to account for all of the missing ducks,,,so maybe some just escaped through the new entrance,,, and will wander back

we will see tonight

vengeance shall be MINE!!

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Reminds me of when I discovered the catbirds were poking holes in my tomatoes just to get the juice.....

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sure sounds like a fox or coon. Smaller candidates like mink or weasel could kill them for sure but the dead bodies would still be there but coon or fox would carry off the prize. Possum maybe they do not usually take that many. Small female bobcat maybe or even a feral cat.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sounds like a fisher

followed me back from Maine it did,,,, been biding his time the ba'stard!!

Sure sounds like a fox or coon. Smaller candidates like mink or weasel

yes, that's why I said (fox/coon sized),,, definitely not mink/weasel,,, know their methods too well,,

been trapping critters since 1976,,, heck almost convinced myself to "go full time" when I graduated high school cause the money was so good (to a poor boy) back then in Northern Wisconsin - just like a few other young fellows I knew that worked with my step-dad as machinists but quit to go full time trapping,,, that got slammed when the bottom started falling out while I was doing my first hitch with Uncle Sam

I wonder if its dead yet.

yes,,, THEY are dead,,, feud has ended,,, for now,, their kin-folk will come up from the flatlands to try to exact revenge,,, but we have our spies watching out!

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Having some experience at this, I will wager it is a young racoon. They usually have no trouble with B&E, will kill more than they eat, and at this time of year are anxious to expand from parental l control. Luckily, they almost always come back to the same spot, and can be easily recorded by a trail camera, and trapped. Put the trap right at the previous entrance hole, good luck.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
flat,750x1000,075,f.u3.jpg