Ithaca Deerslayer

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I carried an ithaca riot gun for years. My own gun, like an idiot I sold it when I left the state.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, got My Ithaca in 1977. Have 3 Barrels. the regular 28 in vent rib Mod barrel the 24 inch Deerslayer Barrel and a riot barrel . It shoots Remington 1 oz sluggers tight! Here are a couple of my kills with the Deerslayer. That second deer Jumped when I shot and as you can see I hit her father back than where I wanted to but she ran about 20 yds. The slug does them in quick.

Mine does the Slam fire as well. I told 2 guys the other day that my Ithaca would shoot twice as fast as theirs and they thought I was lying. Then they you tubed it and saw how fast a Ithaca Slam fire will fire.

SDC11759.JPGDSCF2203.JPG

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine appears to be made in 1974. The barrel measures 20". Dug thru my slugs. I have several boxes of Remington Sluggers, Winchester Super-X, and Federal Tru Ball, also two lone Brenneke slugs. I have yet to shoot a deer with a 20 gauge...

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I know all guns are different but any particular slugs yours liked?
used a Model 12 Winchester with IMP choke for slugs because it shot a tighter group than the MOD choke of the Ithaca, and used Brenneke or Remington slugs.
When Md made it legal to use a BP rifle instead of slugs, they had no idea us BP competition shooters could kill deer twice as far...lol. Was big bucks along the Potomac.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may try some buckshot I have leftover just for giggles. Overall 20 ga buckshot patterns have been unimpressive to me in two different shotguns.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I may try some buckshot I have leftover just for giggles. Overall 20 ga buckshot patterns have been unimpressive to me in two different shotguns.

too much choke was my enemy with buckshot...just a fyi
and you can always add the challenge of keeping shots within the lethal grouping range

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You sir, you have an Ithaca obsession!! Haha. NICE collection!! I know where there is a nice 16 ga 37, tempting...

Last edited:

Hoss

Eight Pointer
I put a corn comb forearm and sling swivels on mine feels a lot better than the forearm that came on mine. I really like the bottom ejection.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
You sir, you have an Ithaca obsession!! Haha. NICE collection!! I know where there is a nice 16 ga 37, tempting...

It’s the shotgun that I grew up with and being relatively cheap I’ve picked em up when I see em reasonably priced. In my opinion they’re one of if not the best pumps ever produced, only drawback to them is the older 37s have the barrel hand fitted so a diff barrel may not work. And if you absolutely need an 8 shot max then if you can find one a DS Police will fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, got My Ithaca in 1977. Have 3 Barrels. the regular 28 in vent rib Mod barrel the 24 inch Deerslayer Barrel and a riot barrel . It shoots Remington 1 oz sluggers tight! Here are a couple of my kills with the Deerslayer. That second deer Jumped when I shot and as you can see I hit her father back than where I wanted to but she ran about 20 yds. The slug does them in quick.

Mine does the Slam fire as well. I told 2 guys the other day that my Ithaca would shoot twice as fast as theirs and they thought I was lying. Then they you tubed it and saw how fast a Ithaca Slam fire will fire.

View attachment 23098View attachment 23099
You got any of the barrels you want to part with? I am interested in making mine a turkey gun mainly because I love it, but it's half the weight of my browning for mountain turkeys.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You got any of the barrels you want to part with? I am interested in making mine a turkey gun mainly because I love it, but it's half the weight of my browning for mountain turkeys.

No, looking for a 30 in or 32" full choke barrel myself. would love to have a 20 ga as well.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, looking for a 30 in or 32" full choke barrel myself. would love to have a 20 ga as well.

Let me know if you find two. I've looked here and there, barrel prices darn near much as the gun from what I've found.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
When one of my wife's uncles passed about 5 years ago his wife gave me a 1960s vintage Model 37, improved choke...I grew up with a double and then bought an 1100 at 20 years old, so I wasn't used to a pump...I started using that Model 37 to honor him (he was a tail gunner in WW-II)...I took it on several high tower pheasant shoots...Boy, that is that a well made shotgun, light, points naturally and smooth as silk when you pump it...It also makes you focus just a little more on that first shot...I've been looking around for one with a modified barrel and even thought of buying a new one to pass along to my grandsons...

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Makes you focus on the first shot because you better make it count. Mine will kick the crap out of you.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I had one of the 28 gauge models pass through my hands about 6 or so years ago. Bought it new, sold it after 2 rounds of skeet... Wish I had it back...

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Birdshot and buckshot were unimpressive at 30 yards. Actually I haven't been impressed with 20 ga buckshot in at least four different guns thru multiple chokes. Three different brand slugs on the other hand made me smile. Looking forward to shooting them farther...