It has been quite a unique week...

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have delayed this post for several reasons, with the largest being I just haven't had the time to gather all my thoughts in a controlled manner. With that said, please bear with me if I stray a bit or get long winded...
We have two grands, one to turn two in July and the other is now 5 months old. Both have been keeping us busy as my better half is doing all she can to help. I consider them "mine" although their mom is not my biological daughter. Having a stepson that I raised as mine, I feel it appropriate to claim them, and love on them both as much as possible.
Now that that is somewhat explained (and the pieces will fall into place as we go), I do, as some know, have my biological son that is the only grandson in my family with our surname. With only one brother in my family, his children are girls. I have always thought our name may end with us.
I recieved the news the beginning of the year that we had a new grandbaby coming in August, the 8th actually. Later informed it was a boy. Needless to say, we have been excited.
Then, problems arise. We find he will have to be taken early. No real biggie we hope as this is happening sorta regular. Still no big worries, just the normal thoughts that one would imagine.
Well, Tuesday morning when I got up I had recieved a text from my son that they were in the hospital. Staying in contact as best we could, he kept me as informed as possible with the ever changing situation. We decided we needed to be there, whatever happened, so bugged out. Arrived at the hospital at 0931. Did not know for a bit, but our newest grandson was born at 0934.. He is 2 months premature, but is doing great.
3lbs 9oz and 16.5 inches long. Levine Children's Hospital has top notch people and have been great with his care.. Not sure we could expect any better care anywhere...
Hopefully he will be home soon.
We appreciate any and all prayers sent for his continued improvement as well as for his mom and dad. Thank you all for your patience if you have stumbled through my entire post.
Allow my to introduce Carter James B to you all with a shot from Tuesday..210601_102139_0.jpeg

Yesterday..a picture of him beside a pic of his dad as a newborn..
IMG_1419.jpg

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Congratulations on the new grandson! I'm sure he will be fine, our daughter was 7 weeks early and weighed 3 lbs. 4 oz and spent a month in an incubator. This was in 1963, and medical science has made tremendous advances since then, so he'll turn out just fine I'm sure; our daughter did.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations! One of my best friends was a few months early, still has the scars to prove it. He went on to be a bull rider, and is 5 years away from retirement, in the Marine Corps. One of the strongest men I've ever met.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats and prayers for him to grow big and strong. I know a guy that was born almost three months early, weighed about 4 lbs., stayed in the hospital for a month, and at eighteen years old measured 6' 7" and 240 lbs.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks all. Went for a visit earlier and found him well and holding his own. O2 is being reduced as he is doing good and the main reason for having is just for help, not completely necessary. He has lost a tiny bit of weight, but that is to be expected at this time also. I did find out that they will not start him on a bottle for 3 more weeks, and how he does and responds after that will determine when he can go home.
So far, so good.
Again, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Congrats and we are saying some prayers that he'll be a very healthy baby real soon.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2 months premature is usually a long stay in the hospital, but it's not the danger it used to be decades ago. At 3 1/2 pounds, he's pretty good sized to be that premature. I had a niece born 11 years ago this month that was exactly 2 months premature and she hovered around 2 pounds. Actually dropped below 2 the day after birth, as is typical. Hopefully, he will put on the weight and strengthen his lungs quickly.

While we know that children and grandchildren are loved no matter the circumstances, it is a blessing to have someone to carry on the family name. Congrats.

Last edited:

thandy

Ten Pointer
My son was born at 30 weeks. He was not breathing, didn't have a heart beat and weighed 2lbs 6oz. He spent 48 day in the NICU between Duke and Durham hospitals. He turned 15 in November and is current 6ft 1in tall and 160lbs with a size 14 shoe.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Update on Carter:
All is going well with all vitals showing good. Heart beat, breathing, BP, and oxygen levels are staying correct. He is being taken off oxygen more each day, with today being 4 hour stints, and maintaining on only room air. He is now regaining weight and is back up to his birth weight, after dropping down a few ounces. He seems to be a fighter and is an active baby....
Pic today:

IMG_0542.jpg

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I See no endotracheal tube nor heated high flow cannula similar to the ones we use. Take that as a very good sign, especially 5 days out. If there were surfactant issues, you'd have seen them by now.
Prayers inbound, and congrats!